Questions of an Engineering Student: Overwhelmed & Seeking Guidance

In summary, the person is asking if other engineers get overwhelmed by the amount of information and technology in the field, and if it's normal for students to feel this way. They also mention struggling with circuit analysis and design and considering switching from an EET to EE degree. They have a lot of concerns and are seeking advice from others.
Jammin_James
Hey everyone, I have a few questions for any engineers:

Do any of you ever get overwhelmed by all the information and tech. that is out there. It just seems like engineering is a field where it is impossible to know everything. Sometimes I think about what it's going to be like when I'm given a job and I get frazzled. What if I forgot too much of what I learned in school, or maybe I complete the job, but there's a way to make the product better that I haven't heard or know of?

I'm doing alright in my program at the moment, I'm having fun playing with PLAs and MCUs using assembly code. I'm rather weak when it comes to circuit analysis or design, it's something I'm trying to work on; I try to go over circuits I find, but sometimes I just can figure out what's going on.

It's fun learning all of this, but just knowing that I'll never learn everything is kinda discouraging (killing my motivation to learn).

Thanks everyone!

Bah, I'm a basket case, but I get really flustered easily, obviously. Is this a normal concern with most students, or is it just me?

As a side question:

I'm thinking about maybe taking some bridge courses to get an EE degree rather than an EET; if this is at all possible. My Prof., who is an EE, mentioned this to me and I was curious as to how I would go about doing this.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have never heard of anyone ever switching from EET to EE as and undergraduate. Is your EET program a BS degree? I was an EE major up till last semester then I switched to EET because I simply couldn't handle the EE program.

Dear engineering student,

First of all, it is completely normal to feel overwhelmed by the vast amount of information and technology in the field of engineering. With constantly evolving technology and new advancements, it can be challenging to keep up with everything. However, it is important to remember that as an engineer, your job is not to know everything, but rather to know how to find and utilize the information and resources available to you.

In terms of forgetting information learned in school, this is also common and not something to be overly concerned about. In the professional world, you will have access to resources such as textbooks, manuals, and experienced colleagues who can help you refresh your knowledge. Additionally, there will always be new information and techniques to learn, so it is important to continue to educate yourself throughout your career.

Regarding your weaknesses in circuit analysis and design, it is great that you are actively working on improving these skills. Don't be discouraged if you don't understand everything right away - engineering is a continuous learning process and it takes time and practice to master certain concepts. Keep seeking out resources and asking for help when needed.

As for your side question, it is possible to bridge from an EET degree to an EE degree, but the process may vary depending on the specific programs and institutions. I would recommend speaking with your professor or academic advisor to discuss your options and get more information on how to go about this. Keep in mind that both degrees can lead to successful careers in engineering, so ultimately it is up to you to decide which path is best for you.

Remember, it is normal to feel overwhelmed and uncertain at times, but don't let it discourage you from pursuing your passion for engineering. Keep seeking guidance and continue to learn and grow as an engineer. Best of luck to you in your studies!

1. What are some common challenges faced by engineering students?

Engineering students often face challenges such as heavy course loads, difficult and complex concepts, time management, and balancing academic and personal responsibilities. They may also struggle with imposter syndrome and feeling overwhelmed by the expectations placed on them.

2. How can I manage my workload as an engineering student?

It's important to prioritize your tasks and create a schedule that allows you to stay on top of your coursework. Break down larger tasks into smaller, more manageable chunks. Don't be afraid to ask for help or seek out resources such as tutoring or study groups.

3. Should I specialize in a specific field of engineering or keep my options open?

This depends on your personal interests and career goals. If you have a specific passion or career path in mind, it may be beneficial to specialize in that field. However, keeping your options open by taking a variety of courses can also be advantageous and help you discover new interests.

4. How can I overcome imposter syndrome in my engineering studies?

Imposter syndrome, or feeling like you don't belong or deserve your accomplishments, is common among engineering students. Remember that it's normal to feel overwhelmed and that everyone makes mistakes. Surround yourself with a supportive network of peers and mentors, and focus on your own progress and growth rather than comparing yourself to others.

5. What advice do you have for a new engineering student?

It's important to stay organized, manage your time effectively, and seek out help when you need it. Don't be afraid to ask questions and take advantage of resources such as office hours and study groups. Also, remember to take breaks and prioritize self-care to avoid burnout. Lastly, stay curious and open-minded, and don't be afraid to explore different areas of engineering to find your passion.