1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2Q in L-transformation

1. Sep 15, 2005 #1
    I just a beginner for relativity (both GR & SR), so you find my question may be very simple but still hope you can help!!! THX~ :shy:

Q1. A light ray in the x'y'-plane arrives at the origin O' of the S' system at t'=0. it coms from a direction which makes an angle 30deg with O'x' and 60 deg with O'y'. Show that events on the front of the ray have coordinates is:

x' = - (sqrt3 / c)ct', y' = - 1/2 ct'
    can I use the equation of transformation that x' = xo + ct' ? if yes how about the cos-function in fornt og ct'?

Q2. 2 events occur simultaneously at t=o in the reference frame S, at the origin and at the point (X,0,0). In the second frames S', the measured time-interval between the events is T. Prove that the distance beetween the points at which the events occur in S' is (X^2 + C^2T^2)

Am I right to use the space-time interval: (ds)^2= c^2(dt)^2+ (dx)^2? I have tried this method but the trem 1/[sqrt(1- v^2/c^2)] is left~~~ What's worng ??

yukyuk

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2005 #2
    No. (ds)^2= -c^2(dt)^2+ (dx)^2, or vice versa.

Question 1 is deceptively simple.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?