1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2x2 matrix inverse formula

1. Sep 24, 2008 #1
    I need to find the inverse of a 2x2 matrix [a b ; c d] using Gauss-Jordan elimination.

I am halfway there but I'm stuck on the algebra because it gets really messy. Could anyone possibly do it step by step?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why don't you show us what you've got so far?

4. Sep 24, 2008 #3
    sure:

[ a b ; c d | 1 0 ; 0 1 ] -->
    [ a b ; (ac/c) (ad/c) | 1 0 ; 0 (a/c) ] -->
    [ a b ; 0 ((ad/c)/c) -b | -1 (a/c) ] -->

here's where i'm a little stuck. i'm bad at keeping track of every variable...i think i miss something along the way because of the messy algebra.

5. Sep 24, 2008 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Assuming that your last line is supposed to be:
    [tex]\begin{pmatrix} a & b &1 & 0 \\ 0 & \frac{ad}{c}-b & -1 & \frac{a}{c} \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

then your doing fine so far. what is your next step?

6. Sep 24, 2008 #5
    here it is:

[ (a(((ad/c)-b)/b) (((ad/c)-b)/b) ; 0 ((ad/c) -b) | (((ad/c)-b)/b) 0 ; -1 (a/c) ]

look good?

7. Sep 24, 2008 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you multiplying the top row by (ad/c-b)/b ? If so, you should get:
    [tex]
    \begin{pmatrix} \frac{a(\frac{ad}{c}-b)}{b} & (\frac{ad}{c}-b) &\frac{(\frac{ad}{c}-b)}{b} & 0 \\ 0 & \frac{ad}{c}-b & -1 & \frac{a}{c} \end{pmatrix}
    [/tex]

8. Sep 24, 2008 #7
    ah right, so the next step is:

[ (a(((ad/c)-b)/b) - (((ad/c)-b)) 0 ; 0 ((ad/c) -b) | ((((ad/c)-b)/b) - (ad/c) -b) 0 ; -1 (a/c) ]

it's messy this way...sorry.

9. Sep 24, 2008 #8

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Wouldn't the step be to subtract the bottom row from the top row to get:
    [tex]\begin{pmatrix} \frac{a(\frac{ad}{c}-b)}{b} & 0 &\frac{(\frac{ad}{c}-b)}{b}+1 & \frac{-1}{c} \\ 0 & \frac{ad}{c}-b & -1 & \frac{a}{c} \end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix} \frac{a(\frac{ad}{c}-b)}{b} & 0 &\frac{ad}{bc} & \frac{-1}{c} \\ 0 & \frac{ad}{c}-b & -1 & \frac{a}{c} \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

10. Sep 24, 2008 #9
    alright, so now we have a matrix with zeros along the anti-diagonal. the inverse doesn't equal the inverse given by the 2x2 inverse formula. what went wrong?

11. Sep 24, 2008 #10

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You still have to set the diagonal elements to 1: simply multiply the top row by b/(a(ad/c-b)) and the bottom row by 1/(ad/c-b)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?