1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2x2 matrix inverse

1. Sep 24, 2008 #1
    I need to find the inverse of a 2x2 matrix of the form [a b ; c d]

I'm halfway there, but the algebra gets really messy. Could anyone help me out by doing the problem step by step? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2008 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm not going to do the problem for you, but I can give you a hint... you should be find that the inverse is of the form (1/ad-bc)M(a,b,c,d), where M(a,b,c,d) is a pretty simple 2x2 matrix.

4. Sep 24, 2008 #3
    thanks for the reply. i'm aware of the formula. in fact, i'm trying to derive the formula to prove to myself that i can do gauss jordan elimination. i just got stuck midway because the algebra gets pretty messy. here's where i am in the process:

[ a b ; c d | 1 0 ; 0 1 ] -->
    [ a b ; (ac/c) (ad/c) | 1 0 ; 0 (a/c) ] -->
    [ a b ; 0 ((ad/c)/c) -b | -1 (a/c) ] -->

i went a couple of steps ahead and i must not be doing something right. i'd appreciate if someone could lay it out for me on the site. thanks!

5. Sep 24, 2008 #4

Defennder

Homework Helper

I don't see how you got that. Starting from the matrix above that, multiply the 2nd row by -1 and add it to the first row. See how to continue from there?

EDIT: Please don't double-post threads. You've already posted this here:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=258994

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?