Is the 3-2 engineering program right for me?

In summary, the 3-2 program at the school my friend was attending is not what the wanted, but the school or program doesn't matter a whole lot.
risp
I am currently a high school student with the SAT score of 1230/1600( i know it's really bad) due to which I can not get into any good university so should I apply for 3-2 engineering programs? I am also not sure which engineering to do so it will also give me time to think. So can you guys please suggest me some good colleges with 3-2 ( I am not a US citizen and can not afford more than 30k). I also read that 3-2 is a scam so is true? And should I go for BA in Physics or BS in physics?

thanks in advance for your attention and answer

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Community college can be a viable alternative.

I never took the SAT, but I have a friend who re took it three times and got 1830, he studies computer science bachelors at purdue now. Can't you retake your sat if you want better colleges? :) my friend got bbb in a levels. (Maths chemistry and physics).

Dont know the difference between Ba and Bsc physics. Engineering vs physics? I would say it depends on what you want to do. I do not think universities in the US care that much if you retook your standardised tests, as long as you pay :P I have anothr friend in community college but I can confirm that the average CC's education in the US is not equivalent to a proper universities 2 year education, and many people on here have posted about this too. Even ccs could be a "scam" unless you choose wisely.

how are you academically?

MidgetDwarf said:
how are you academically?
not in at top but above average

I took the community college route and was able to transfer to a reputable university, and many of my friends did too; a lot of the courses during the first two years are almost the same anyways, which gave us a chance to change majors and adjust to our interests and goals.

I was looking into the 3-2 program offered at a school my friend was attending because we wanted to stick together... took me a lot to say that it wasn't what I wanted because it looked way too broad. I'm not sure if it's a bad program or not, but I feel like the school or program doesn't really matter a whole lot anyways compared to the student.

1. What is a "3-2 engineering" program?

A "3-2 engineering" program is a dual-degree program where students can earn both a Bachelor of Science degree in a specific field of engineering and a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree in a liberal arts or sciences discipline. It typically takes three years to complete the first degree and two additional years to complete the second degree.

2. How does the "3-2 engineering" program work?

In a "3-2 engineering" program, students typically spend the first three years at a liberal arts college or university, taking general education courses and some introductory engineering courses. After completing the requirements for the first degree, students transfer to an engineering school for the final two years, where they focus on completing the requirements for the engineering degree.

3. What are the benefits of a "3-2 engineering" program?

One of the main benefits of a "3-2 engineering" program is that it provides a well-rounded education by combining the technical skills of engineering with the critical thinking and problem-solving skills of a liberal arts education. It also allows students to explore their interests in both fields and potentially open up more career opportunities.

4. Are there any drawbacks to a "3-2 engineering" program?

One potential drawback is that the program can be challenging and require a lot of hard work and dedication. Students may also have to transfer to a different school for the final two years, which can be a significant transition. Additionally, some employers may not be familiar with the "3-2 engineering" program and may require further explanation of the dual degrees.

5. What types of engineering degrees can be earned through a "3-2 engineering" program?

The specific engineering degrees available through a "3-2 engineering" program may vary depending on the liberal arts college and engineering school partnership. However, common engineering degrees include mechanical, electrical, civil, chemical, and computer engineering.