1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3^2x=5(3^x)+36 whats the exact value of x?

1. Dec 7, 2004 #1
    I let A=3x and then i got (A-9)(A-4) when i factored the quadratic. Then when I got a common base of 3 I solved one x value to be x=2 but Im not sure about the other one? 3^x=4 what is the common base? I used the graphing calculator instead and got x=1.26 is this correct? could i have done it another way? :rolleyes:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2004 #2

Zurtex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A=3^x not 3x right?

I've not checked your algebra but assuming it is right:

[tex]3^x = 4[/tex]

[tex]x = \log_3 4[/tex]

or:

[tex]3^x = 4[/tex]

[tex]\ln \left( 3^x \right) = \ln (4)[/tex]

[tex]x \ln (3) = \ln(4)[/tex]

[tex]x = \frac{\ln(4)}{\ln(3)}[/tex]

Edit: You have made a mistake, check your pluses and minus when you factored again, there is only one real root.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2004
  4. Dec 7, 2004 #3
    Thanks I got it :smile:

5. Dec 7, 2004 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Final answer,...............................................YES.But the equation subject of this post will not appear in the solution to your problem,as the decomposition u found was wrong.It should have stated (A-9)(A+4) with only the "9" sollution adittable,since the exponetial of real numbers cannot be negative.
    Anyway,for the equation u stated,here goes my say:
    U got [itex] 3^x =4 [/itex].Apply logarithm in any base on both sides of the eq.Apply it in the base 3 to find:[itex] x=\log_{3} 4 [/itex].Apply in the "natural" basis to find:[itex] x=\frac{\ln 4}{\ln 3} [/itex].
    Take the pocket intelligent calculator (the one with scientifical functions) and compute the ratio between the 2 natural logarithms and you"ll find "x" with a staggering approximation (actuatlly the calculator's number of possible decimals).

Equations like the one u encountered (the last one) are called transcendental equations and,in general,solutions are transcendental numbers,i.e. numbers like "e" and "pi".

Daniel.

PS.Edit:Zurtex,i hadn't seen yor post,as i would have cut mine to half,sice you dealt with the transcedental eq.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2004
  6. Dec 7, 2004 #5
    Since one value was negative I think there is no solution for that one since when a positive base is raised to any exponent the result should be a positive value. We are not doing log this year, thanks for ur help!

7. Dec 7, 2004 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I edited my post.I assumed that the decomposition u found was correct (and so did Zurtex),so i proceded with the unclarities regarding the last equation.
    Now my post makes perfect sense.Almost... :tongue2:

8. Dec 7, 2004 #7
    I dont understand am I wrong?

9. Dec 7, 2004 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

YES,but,thankfully u figured out the mistake.

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?