3^2x=5(3^x)+36 whats the exact value of x?

• Thread starter aisha
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value
In summary, you used a graphing calculator to approximate the value of x when solving the equation 3^x=4.
aisha
I let A=3x and then i got (A-9)(A-4) when i factored the quadratic. Then when I got a common base of 3 I solved one x value to be x=2 but I am not sure about the other one? 3^x=4 what is the common base? I used the graphing calculator instead and got x=1.26 is this correct? could i have done it another way? :rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
A=3^x not 3x right?

I've not checked your algebra but assuming it is right:

[tex]3^x = 4[/tex]

[tex]x = \log_3 4[/tex]

or:

[tex]3^x = 4[/tex]

[tex]\ln \left( 3^x \right) = \ln (4)[/tex]

[tex]x \ln (3) = \ln(4)[/tex]

[tex]x = \frac{\ln(4)}{\ln(3)}[/tex]

Edit: You have made a mistake, check your pluses and minus when you factored again, there is only one real root.

Last edited:
Thanks I got it :smile:

aisha said:
I let A=3x and then i got (A-9)(A-4) when i factored the quadratic. Then when I got a common base of 3 I solved one x value to be x=2 but I am not sure about the other one? 3^x=4 what is the common base? I used the graphing calculator instead and got x=1.26 is this correct? could i have done it another way? :rolleyes:

Final answer,.........YES.But the equation subject of this post will not appear in the solution to your problem,as the decomposition u found was wrong.It should have stated (A-9)(A+4) with only the "9" sollution adittable,since the exponetial of real numbers cannot be negative.
Anyway,for the equation u stated,here goes my say:
U got [itex] 3^x =4 [/itex].Apply logarithm in any base on both sides of the eq.Apply it in the base 3 to find:[itex] x=\log_{3} 4 [/itex].Apply in the "natural" basis to find:[itex] x=\frac{\ln 4}{\ln 3} [/itex].
Take the pocket intelligent calculator (the one with scientifical functions) and compute the ratio between the 2 natural logarithms and you"ll find "x" with a staggering approximation (actuatlly the calculator's number of possible decimals).

Equations like the one u encountered (the last one) are called transcendental equations and,in general,solutions are transcendental numbers,i.e. numbers like "e" and "pi".

Daniel.

PS.Edit:Zurtex,i hadn't seen yor post,as i would have cut mine to half,sice you dealt with the transcedental eq.

Last edited:
dextercioby said:
Final answer,.........YES.
U have done magnificiently up until the last equation.
U got [itex] 3^x =4 [/itex].Apply logarithm in any base on both sides of the eq.Apply it in the base 3 to find:[itex] x=\log_{3} 4 [/itex].Apply in the "natural" basis to find:[itex] x=\frac{\ln 4}{\ln 3} [/itex].
Take the pocket intelligent calculator (the one with scientifical functions) and compute the ratio between the 2 natural logarithms and you"ll find "x" with a staggering approximation (actuatlly the calculator's number of possible decimals).

Equations like the one u encountered (the last one) are called transcendental equations and,in general,solutions are transcendental numbers,i.e. numbers like "e" and "pi".

Daniel.
Since one value was negative I think there is no solution for that one since when a positive base is raised to any exponent the result should be a positive value. We are not doing log this year, thanks for ur help!

aisha said:
Since one value was negative I think there is no solution for that one since when a positive base is raised to any exponent the result should be a positive value. We are not doing log this year, thanks for ur help!

I edited my post.I assumed that the decomposition u found was correct (and so did Zurtex),so i proceded with the unclarities regarding the last equation.
Now my post makes perfect sense.Almost... :tongue2:

I don't understand am I wrong?

aisha said:
I let A=3x and then i got (A-9)(A-4) when i factored the quadratic.

YES,but,thankfully u figured out the mistake.

Daniel.

1. What is the equation asking for?

The equation is asking for the exact value of x in the expression 3^2x=5(3^x)+36.

2. How do I solve for x in this equation?

To solve for x, you can use logarithms. Taking the logarithm of both sides of the equation will help simplify it and solve for x.

3. What is the value of x in this equation?

The exact value of x in this equation is approximately 1.4339. You can use a calculator to find this value or solve it algebraically.

4. Can this equation be solved without using logarithms?

No, this equation cannot be solved without using logarithms. Logarithms are necessary to simplify the equation and solve for x.

5. Is there more than one solution for x in this equation?

Yes, there are two solutions for x in this equation. The other solution is approximately -2.8146. This can be verified by substituting both values into the original equation.