Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3.55 mm connector

  1. Feb 5, 2012 #1
    I need to connect the leads of a circuit to a male TRS connector (3.55 mm). How would I do this? When I go to the store, all I see are male-male 3.55 mm connectors, which would mean I would have to solder the ends of the circuit to one of the male ends, which seems awkward.

    Is there an easier way to do this, preferably without the need for solder? Is there a 3.55 mm connector that is male-to-wires, where you can just attach your three wires to the connector, and then plug the male into whatever device you want which would connect the three wires to the device via the male?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2012 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    You should be able to find in-line male 3.5 mm stereo plugs that allow you to solder some pig-tails on. If you're in the States, you should still be able to get these at Radio Shack. Better place to go would be your local electronics hobby shop, however. I'd put on a little heat shrink (available at the above-mentioned places, or any automotive / hardware supply store) over top of the soldered connection to keep things from shorting out.

    I hope I'm not patronizing here, but if you're using a soldering gun or high powered iron, you should buy / borrow a more suitable soldering iron.
  4. Feb 6, 2012 #3
    Thanks. You're not patronizing - I'm utterly clueless when it comes to electronics (and don't know how to solder or own a soldering iron). I was able to find a solderless plug, one that used screws, but it was a bit more expensive because it was gold-plated. It's here:


    Obviously someone who was competent would just buy a cheaper plug and use solder, but because of my deficiencies I was looking for a very specific product.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook