1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3 attempts to solve rotational problem, all failed. Please help

1. Jan 21, 2008 #1
    3 attempts to solve rotational problem, all failed. Please help!!!

I am trying to solve this problem but am getting nowhere. Perhaps someone could help...
    Here goes:

===================
    A horizontal disk rotates uniformly with [tex]\omega[/tex]=const
    Polar coordinate system [tex]r \ , \theta[/tex] is attached to the disk and rotates with it.
    A smooth string is attached to the disk. The string has spiral shape [tex]r = \theta^2[/tex].
    The string rotates together with the disk.

A point mass (a bead) slides without friction on the string. What is the trajectory of the
    bead in the static polar coordinate system F: [tex] r, \phi [/tex]? There is no gravity.
    ===================

Relevant equations:
    Newton's equations of motion in the rotating frame F':

radial equation:
    [tex] \ddot{r} - r\dot{\theta^2} = 2\omega r \dot{\theta} + \omega^2 r + R_r [/tex]
    asimuthal equation:
    [tex] r\ddot{\theta} + 2\dot{r}\dot{\theta} = -2\omega\dot{r} + R_{\theta} [/tex]
    where [tex] R_r, R_{\theta} [/tex] are the polar components of the "reaction" force
    that holds the bead on the string.

ATEMPTS to solve it:

-------------------
    ATTEMPT number 1:

Trying it with d'Alembert method (the method of virtual work)
    The constraint equation is [tex]\varphi = r - \theta^2 = 0[/tex] and then the virtual displacements [tex]\delta r \ , \ \ \delta\theta [/tex] must obey

[tex]\frac{\partial\varphi}{\partial r}\delta r + \frac{\partial\varphi}{\partial\theta}\delta\theta = 0[/tex]

which means

[tex] \delta r = 2\theta \delta\theta[/tex]

Newton's equations of motion in the rotating frame F' are:

radial equation:
    [tex] \ddot{r} - r\dot{\theta^2} - 2\omega r \dot{\theta} - \omega^2 r = 0[/tex]
    asimuthal equation:
    [tex] r\ddot{\theta} + 2\dot{r}\dot{\theta} + 2\omega\dot{r} =0 [/tex]

Here I omit the reaction forces of the string, as their virtual work is zero.

Then, applying d'Alembert's principle, I get

[tex] \{ \ddot{r} - r\dot{\theta^2} - 2\omega r \dot{\theta} - \omega^2 r \}2\theta + \{ r\ddot{\theta} + 2\dot{r}\dot{\theta} + 2\omega\dot{r} \} =

0[/tex]

I also expressed [tex]\theta[/tex] through [tex]r[/tex] by using the constraint condition and got this equation for [tex]\theta[/tex] only.
    I am way off here? This differential equation is very hard to solve. I tried it with Maple and got some hack-looking expressions.
    So this attempt seems to have failed.

-------------------
    ATTEMPT number 2:

Trying it with variational calculus
    The time to reach an arbitrary position [tex]r=R\ ,\ \phi=\phi_1[/tex] in F is

[tex] T = \int \frac{ds}{v} = \frac{1}{\omega}\int_0^{\phi_1} \frac{\sqrt{r'^2+r^2}}{r}\ d\phi = \int_0^{\phi_1} J(r,r')\ d\phi [/tex]
    I tried to find the trajectory by varying [tex]J(r,r')[/tex] with the Euler-Lagrange method and applying the constraint
    [tex]r = \theta^2[/tex]. I applied the constraind and re-wrote [tex]J(r,r')[/tex] as [tex]J(\theta,\dot{\theta})[/tex] and then did:

[tex] \frac{\partial J}{\partial \theta} - \frac{d}{dt}\{\frac{\partial J}{\partial \dot{\theta}}\} = 0[/tex]

This gives a differential equation which allows the solution [tex]\theta = -\omega t[/tex],
    That is, the trajectory seen in F is the straight line [tex]\phi = 0[/tex]

But this seems to be off, because the integral may be incorrect. It assumes [tex]v=\omega \ r[/tex],
    which is wrong. Try the same integral on a straight-line constraint. After varying, it should exactly give
    the solution [tex] r = e^{\phi}[/tex], but it doesn't.

I guess one needs to use properly the energy conservation and get the proper expression for [tex]v[/tex],
    but I am confused here and couldn't do it.

So this one failed.

-------------------
    ATTEMPT number 3:

Trying it with Newton's equations of motion.

I wrote them in the rotating frame F', because the constraint applies in F':

radial equation:
    [tex] \ddot{r} - r\dot{\theta^2} = 2\omega r \dot{\theta} + \omega^2 r + R_r [/tex]
    asimuthal equation:
    [tex] r\ddot{\theta} + 2\dot{r}\dot{\theta} = -2\omega\dot{r} + R_{\theta} [/tex]

where [tex] R_r, R_{\theta} [/tex] are the polar components of the "reaction" force
    that holds the bead on the string.

I tried the solution [tex]\theta = -\omega t[/tex],
    That is, the trajectory seen in F is the straight line [tex]\phi = 0[/tex].

This means

[tex] R_\theta = 0 [/tex]
    [tex] R_r = 2 r_0 \omega^2 [/tex] = const

It's all OK, but it is a "backwards" solution, assuming how the reaction looks like.
    So it is a hack and it assumed failed.

Any thoughts, please? I am running out of ideas.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?