3 batteries and 3 capacitors

In summary, in this circuit with three capacitors, C1=15.2 μF, C2=9.8 μF, C3=4.4 μF, and battery voltages V1=20 V, V2=20 V, V3=5 V, the magnitude of the charge on capacitor C1, C2, and C3 is determined by applying Kirchhoff's rule and using the equation V=Q/C. The equations for the two loops in the circuit are V1 - Q1/C1 - Q2/C2 + V2=0 and V3 + Q2/C2 - V2 + Q3/C3=0, with the additional relationship Q1 + Q3
sabak22

Homework Statement

Three capacitors C1–C3, all initially uncharged, are placed in the circuit show above. The capacitances are C1=15.2 μF, C2=9.8 μF, C3=4.4 μF, and the battery voltages are V1=20 V, V2=20 V, V3=5 V.

What is the magnitude q1 of the charge on capacitor C1 once equilibrium has been established?

What is the magnitude q2 of the charge on capacitor C2 once equilibrium has been established?

What is the magnitude q3 of the charge on capacitor C3 once equilibrium has been established?

Homework Equations

V=Q/C
I1+I3=i2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried applrying the kirchhoff's rule, but i don't know where to go with it... i don't even know if i am write or not.
V1+Q1/C1 + Q2/C2+V2=0
V3+Q2/C2+V2+Q3/C3=0

Attachments

• KirCap.png
    KirCap.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 465
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No figure is visible, so it's impossible to help you.

really sorry about that. I didnt realize

sabak22 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried applying the Kirchhoff rule, but i don't know where to go with it... i don't even know if i am write or not.
V1+Q1/C1 + Q2/C2+V2=0
V3+Q2/C2+V2+Q3/C3=0

For the loop with V1+Q1/C1 + Q2/C2+V2=0: Assuming the voltage drops are for traversing the loop in a Clockwise sense, there is a voltage drop across the capacitors. This equation should be:
V1 - Q1/C1 - Q2/C2 + V2=0 .​

Similarly, the signs for the voltages across the capacitors in the other loop equation should also be changed.

Additionally, you have Q1 + Q3 = Q2, because I1 + I3 = I2 .

Plugin all the values, do some algebra and see what you get.

I would approach this problem by first identifying the variables given in the problem: three capacitors with their respective capacitances (C1, C2, C3) and three battery voltages (V1, V2, V3). I would also take note of the fact that all capacitors are initially uncharged and that equilibrium has been established.

Next, I would use the relevant equation V=Q/C to solve for the magnitude of the charge on each capacitor. Since equilibrium has been established, the voltage across each capacitor should be equal to the voltage of the battery it is connected to. Thus, we can rewrite the equations as:

V1=Q1/C1
V2=Q2/C2
V3=Q3/C3

Solving for Q1, Q2, and Q3, we get:

Q1=V1*C1=20*15.2=304 μC
Q2=V2*C2=20*9.8=196 μC
Q3=V3*C3=5*4.4=22 μC

Therefore, the magnitude of the charge on capacitor C1 is 304 μC, the magnitude of the charge on capacitor C2 is 196 μC, and the magnitude of the charge on capacitor C3 is 22 μC.

To check our answer, we can use the Kirchhoff's rule, which states that the sum of all currents entering and leaving a junction in a circuit must be equal to zero. In this case, the only junction is the one between C1 and C2, so we can write:

I1+I3=I2

Since all capacitors are initially uncharged, the initial current through the circuit is zero. Once equilibrium is established, the current through each capacitor is equal to the charge on that capacitor divided by the time it takes to reach equilibrium. Since we are only interested in the magnitudes of the charges, we can ignore the direction of the currents and simply write:

Q1/T+Q3/T=Q2/T

Since the time taken to reach equilibrium is the same for all capacitors, we can cancel it out and rewrite the equation as:

Q1+Q3=Q2

Substituting the values we calculated earlier, we get:

304 μC+22 μC=196 μC

This equation is true, so our answer is correct.

In conclusion

1. How do batteries and capacitors work together?

Batteries and capacitors are both energy storage devices, but they function differently. Batteries store energy chemically, while capacitors store energy electrostatically. In a circuit, batteries provide a constant voltage while capacitors act as temporary energy storage that can release a burst of energy when needed.

2. What happens when you connect 3 batteries and 3 capacitors in a circuit?

When connected in a circuit, the batteries and capacitors will work together to provide a steady flow of energy. The batteries will maintain the voltage while the capacitors will help to regulate and stabilize the current. This can be useful in applications where a sudden surge of energy is required, such as in camera flashes or electric car motors.

3. How do the capacity and voltage of batteries and capacitors affect each other?

The capacity of a battery or capacitor refers to its ability to store energy, while voltage refers to the potential difference between the positive and negative terminals. In a circuit, connecting batteries and capacitors in parallel will increase the overall capacity, while connecting them in series will increase the overall voltage.

4. Can you use any combination of batteries and capacitors in a circuit?

No, it is important to use batteries and capacitors with compatible voltage and capacity ratings in a circuit. Using mismatched components can result in damage to the devices or an inefficient circuit. It is important to read the specifications of each component and choose ones that are compatible with each other.

5. How long can a circuit with 3 batteries and 3 capacitors run before needing to be recharged?

The run time of a circuit with 3 batteries and 3 capacitors will depend on the capacity and voltage of the components, as well as the amount of energy being drawn from the circuit. Generally, a larger capacity and higher voltage will result in a longer run time. It is important to monitor the energy usage and recharge the batteries and capacitors as needed to maintain optimal performance.