What is the configuration of 3 blocks connected by a line and its balance?

In summary: Then we have to find the value of masses (m1, m2, m3) if system is on balance.In summary, the question asks for the limits of the masses of the blocks in a given configuration for the system to remain in balance. The values of friction and alpha are given, and the equation for determining the limits of the masses is mgsin(30°)+µmgcos(30°)+µmg=2mg. However, the question may be incomplete or missing some information.
mojki1

Homework Statement

Last time I have had problem with one task:
http://img543.imageshack.us/i/cosc.jpg/
They questioned us to determine compartments in with that configuration will be on balance.
Informations:
u-Friction
alpha=30

Homework Equations

If that configuration must be on balance so acceleration must be 0. So we can compare forces working on that blocks.
-Qx1-T1-T2=Q3

The Attempt at a Solution

If we compare forces which working on that configuration we will go to moment that masses of that blocks will be reduced.
-mgsin(30)- umgcos(30)-umg=2mg
But this is not a solution of that task.
Sorry for my language. Thx for help:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
hi mojki1! :smile:

(have an alpha: α and a mu: µ and a degree: ° :wink:)

what exactly is the question?

are the blocks stationary, or are they moving with zero acceleration?

i'm guessing that you mean that the blocks are stationary, and that the question wants you to give the limits (not "compartments" … that doesn't mean anything in physics :wink:) (on µ) within which that is possible

if so, your answer should have "µ" on one side on its own (and perhaps should have a ≤ or ≥ rather than an =) :wink:
mojki1 said:
If that configuration must be on balance so acceleration must be 0. So we can compare forces working on that blocks.
-Qx1-T1-T2=Q3

If we compare forces which working on that configuration we will go to moment that masses of that blocks will be reduced.
-mgsin(30)- umgcos(30)-umg=2mg
But this is not a solution of that task.

your final equation looks correct to me (except that the minuses should be pluses, and you need to cancel the mgs and make it an equation for µ)

btw, "If we compare forces which working on that configuration we will go to moment that masses of that blocks will be reduced" …

i think you mean something like "If we equate the forces on that configuration (or system) at the instant that the blocks are about to move" :smile:

You 're right tiny-tim. The blocks are stationary and question is about the limit of the masses of that blocks for which the system remains in balance. µ is given.
Final equation should looks:

mgsin(30°)+ µmgcos(30°)+µmg=2mg

But this isn't standard task that we have to designate limits for µ, we need designate limits for masses not for µ. µ is given. If i compare that equation, masses will be reduced, so i think that we have to look for this problem from another perspective

hi mojki1! :smile:
mojki1 said:
mgsin(30°)+ µmgcos(30°)+µmg=2mg

But this isn't standard task that we have to designate limits for µ, we need designate limits for masses not for µ. µ is given. If i compare that equation, masses will be reduced, so i think that we have to look for this problem from another perspective

if µ is fixed (what is it, btw?), and if the ratio of the masses (m:m:2m) is also fixed, then the value of m makes no difference :confused:

there must be something missing from the question :redface:

µ is constant for all blocks, only masses are your variables

EDIT:
data for this task were symbols

Last edited:

1. What is the concept of "3 blocks connected by line"?

The concept of "3 blocks connected by line" refers to a simple physics experiment in which three blocks are connected by a single line or string. The blocks are typically suspended or resting on a surface, and the purpose of the experiment is to observe the behavior of the blocks when one of them is pulled or released.

2. Why is this experiment commonly used in physics education?

This experiment is commonly used in physics education because it demonstrates fundamental principles of mechanics, such as force, tension, and Newton's Laws of Motion. It also allows students to practice making predictions and observations, and to analyze and interpret data.

3. How do the blocks behave when one of them is pulled?

When one of the blocks is pulled, the other blocks will also move, depending on the strength and direction of the pull. The block closest to the source of the force will experience the greatest movement, while the other blocks will move in proportion to their distance from the source.

4. What factors can affect the behavior of the blocks in this experiment?

The behavior of the blocks can be affected by a variety of factors, including the strength and direction of the force applied, the weight and mass of the blocks, the length and material of the string or line, and any external forces such as friction or air resistance.

5. How is this experiment relevant to real-life situations?

This experiment can be relevant to real-life situations where objects are connected by a line or rope, such as in pulley systems or suspension bridges. It also demonstrates the concept of tension, which is important in understanding how structures and materials behave under stress.