Exploring Collision Cross Section for 3-Body Systems: Debunking Misconceptions

In summary, the conversation revolves around the calculation of the hard sphere collision cross section for 3 bodies and whether it is always equal to zero. The participants suggest providing a reference or definition for "hard sphere" and clarify if the system is classical or quantum. The discussion also touches on the difficulty of understanding the cross section curves in quantum energy bound states.
brad sue
Hi everybody,

I was reading an article and I have this affirmation i don't know if correct:
the hard sphere collision cross section for 3 bodies always equal to zero. Is it true?

Why should it be?
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to provide a reference or at least a definition for "hard sphere".

In the classical sense, it is surely unlikely that three bodies make contact simultaneously. But are you talking of a classical or a quantum system?

Dr Lots-o'watts said:
You might want to provide a reference or at least a definition for "hard sphere".

In the classical sense, it is surely unlikely that three bodies make contact simultaneously. But are you talking of a classical or a quantum system?

Hard sphere is the "normal" cross section we have in classical physics namely pi*radius^2.
we are in quantum system and usually thr cross section is function of the particle speeds.

I am trying to understand this 3 body cross section with the quantum energy bound states but all those curves drive me crazy! maybe it is not the good way to approach it...

What is collision cross section?

Collision cross section is a measure of the effective size of a molecule or particle in a gas. It is used to quantify the likelihood of a collision between two particles in a gas phase system.

What is a 3-body system?

A 3-body system refers to a system of three particles or bodies that interact with each other through forces, such as gravity or electrostatic forces. This type of system is commonly found in physics and astronomy, and can be described using mathematical models.

What misconceptions surround collision cross section for 3-body systems?

One common misconception is that larger particles will always have a larger collision cross section. In reality, the shape and orientation of the particles can also affect the collision cross section. Additionally, the presence of a third particle in a 3-body system can also alter the collision cross section.

Why is understanding collision cross section important?

Understanding collision cross section is important in fields such as atmospheric science, chemistry, and physics. It helps scientists predict the behavior of particles in a gas phase system, and can also aid in the development of new technologies and processes.

How is collision cross section for 3-body systems explored?

Collision cross section for 3-body systems is often explored through computer simulations and mathematical models. These methods allow scientists to study the effects of various factors, such as particle size and shape, on the collision cross section. Experimental techniques, such as mass spectrometry, can also be used to measure collision cross section in a laboratory setting.