3 body final state kinematics

In summary, the author is calculating the pion energy as a function of the solid angle between the incoming electron and the neutron, the electron's initial and final 4-momenta, and Q^2. If you want to run a Monte Carlo simulation, you should use both the solutions for p_e that correspond to angles less than 90 degrees and the solution for p_e that corresponds to angles greater than 90 degrees.
zelrik
Hello,

It may not be the best place to ask but that is the best place I found :)

So I have been trying to calculate kinematic variables for the following process (incoming electron with energy ~360MeV and neutron at rest) :

[tex]e^- + n \rightarrow e^- + \Delta^0 \rightarrow e^- + \pi^- + p [/tex]

So I tried to find the final pion energy, [tex]E_\pi[/tex] as a function of it's solid angle ([tex]\theta_\pi[/tex],[tex]\phi_\pi[/tex]),the electron initial and final 4-momenta as well as [tex]Q^2[/tex] and the various masses...

The problem is that I found 2 solutions for [tex]E_\pi[/tex] as I end up with a second order polynomial and both solutions seems physical to me... is it normal or I have been doing something wrong? I can post some detailed calculations if needed.

Physics news on Phys.org
A three body final state is described by a Dalitz plot. If you plot E_e on one axis and E_pi on the other, any final state will fall within a circle in the non-relativistic case, and a more complicated shape for the relativistic case. Your two solutions for E_pi represent the two limits on the edge of the Dalitz plot. You could find more about th Dalitz plot in an older particle physics book.

Thanks, that seems very helpful :)

So in practice, if I want to run a Monte Carlo simulation of the reaction given a incident beam energy etc., what solution should I use at the end? a random value between those 2 ?

How off shell is the delta ? Looks to me like it should be quite on shell. That would render the problem most easy.

In any case, you can go to the pi proton center of mass and enforcing energy conservation should straightforwardly give you the (common) momentum shared. Then boost back to the lab.

In CM frame, we have this

[tex]\sqrt{p_e^2+m_e^2} + \sqrt{p_{\pi}^2+m_{\pi}^2} + \sqrt{p_e^2 + p_{\pi}^2 + 2 p_e p_{\pi} cos \theta + m_p^2} = E_{CM}[/tex]

where [tex]\theta[/tex] is the angle between the pion and the electron. If we hold [tex]p_e[/tex] and [tex]\theta[/tex] constant, after some tedius algebra this indeed results in a quadratic equation for [tex]p_{\pi}[/tex] which may have one or two positive solutions. If the angle is less than 90 degrees, there should be only one positive solution. If it's greater than 90, for some [tex]p_e[/tex] and [tex]E_{CM}[/tex], there may be two. If you're doing monte carlo, you should use both.

1. What is the 3 body final state kinematics problem?

The 3 body final state kinematics problem is a classic problem in physics and astronomy that involves predicting the positions and velocities of three objects that are interacting with each other gravitationally. This problem is difficult to solve analytically, and often requires numerical methods to obtain a solution.

2. What are the assumptions made in the 3 body final state kinematics problem?

The 3 body final state kinematics problem assumes that the three objects involved are point masses, meaning they have no size and their mass is concentrated at a single point. It also assumes that the objects are not affected by any external forces, and that they only interact with each other through gravity.

3. How does the 3 body final state kinematics problem relate to the three-body problem?

The 3 body final state kinematics problem is a specific case of the three-body problem, where the focus is on predicting the final state of the system rather than its entire trajectory. The three-body problem is a more general problem that involves predicting the positions and velocities of three objects over time, taking into account their interactions with each other and any external forces.

4. What are some applications of the 3 body final state kinematics problem?

The 3 body final state kinematics problem has applications in various fields, such as astrophysics, celestial mechanics, and spacecraft trajectory planning. It is used to study the motion of three-body systems in space, such as planetary orbits, binary stars, and galaxies. It is also used to plan missions involving spacecraft encounters with multiple bodies.

5. Are there any known analytical solutions to the 3 body final state kinematics problem?

No, there are no known analytical solutions to the 3 body final state kinematics problem. However, there are numerical methods, such as the Runge-Kutta method, that can be used to approximate a solution. Additionally, there are some special cases where analytical solutions can be obtained, such as when one of the objects has a negligible mass compared to the other two.