1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3 by 3 matrix with an orthogonality constraint

1. Oct 24, 2005 #1
    This is a paragraph from a book, which I don't understand:
    "How many independent parameters are there in a 3x3 matrix? A real 3x3 matrix has 9 entries but if we have the orthogonality constraint,
    [tex]RR^T = 1 [/tex]
    which corresponds to 6 independent equations because the product
    [tex]RR^T[/tex] being the same as [tex]R^TR [/tex], is a symmetrical matrix with 6 independent entries.
    As a result, there are 3 (9-6) independent numbers in R."
    I can understand why a real 3x3 matrix has 9 entries. But the sentences after that...I don't understand.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The orginal statement is a bit peculiar. "How many independent parameters are there in a 3x3 matrix?" is answered by the first part of the next sentence. Since a real 3x3 matrix has 9 entries- 9 independent parameters. However, it then talks about the "orthogonality constraint" as if it were talking about orthogonal matrices all along.
    Imagine writing out a 3x3 matrix and its transpose, then multiplying them. Since RRT= 1, that gives 9 equations. However, RTR must give the same thing so that not all of those equations are independent. There are 3 equations that say the quantities on the main diagonal are equal to 1 and 3 equations that say the quantities above the main diagonal are equal to 0. The 3 equations that say the quantities below the main diagonal are 0 do not give us anything new because of the symmetry. There are (no more than) 6 independent equations. You could choose 3 of the entries independently (as the parameters) and then solve the 6 equations for the remaining 6 numbers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?