What is the force acting on a 2kg object at the top of a parabolic trajectory?

In summary, the force acting on a 2kg object directed 20 degrees from the horizontal at the top of its trajectory is 19.6 N due to the force of gravity. An object weighing 3m exploding into two pieces weighing 2m and m will result in the smaller piece having twice the velocity of the larger piece. In a collision between two cars, if the second car has a resulting velocity due south, the only possible direction for the first car is east. The force acting on the object at the top of its trajectory is 19.8 N due to the force of gravity.
saveourpens
1. a force is directed 20 degrees from the horizontal on a 2kg object. At the top of its projectory, what is the magnitude of the force acting on the object.

I said 19.6 N, because the only force acting there would be gravity, right? so 9.8*2 = 19.6 N

2. an object that weighs 3m explodes and into two pieces that weigh 2m and m. Which is the only statement that can be true?

I narrowed it down to two choices

1. the pieces fly off perpendicular to one another
2. the smaller piece has a velocity two times greater than the larger piece.

I chose the 2nd choice

3. A car is moving east. A second car is traveling due north. During the collision, the 2nd car has a resulting velocity due south (opposite direction). What is the only possible direction of the 1st car?

A graph was given with choices that the 2nd car can move west, east, north, north west, or north east. The conservation of momentum obviously comes into play. I screwed up here and chose that it goes west.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

I'm not sure exactly about 1) because I don't understand how long the force was applied and whether it became a projectile.

2) looks right.

3) Yes if the north car reverses, the other has its momentum to the east still and twice the momentum of the north bound to the north, in order that the momentum in x,y remains constant.

LowlyPion said:
Welcome to PF.

I'm not sure exactly about 1) because I don't understand how long the force was applied and whether it became a projectile.

2) looks right.

3) Yes if the north car reverses, the other has its momentum to the east still and twice the momentum of the north bound to the north, in order that the momentum in x,y remains constant.

thank you! now I can at least breath a little easier.

the question for the first was pretty simple. a force is applied at 20 degrees relative to the horizontal on a 2kg object. The object follows a parabolic trajectory. What is the magnitude of the force acting on the object at the top its trajectory.

Since the acting force doesn't act anymore during the parabolic motion and the only force at the top of the parabola is the force due to gravity, the magnitude at the top has to be f=ma or (2)(9.8)= 19.8 N. Any ways, that's what I am thinking there. thank you for your help.

1. What is the purpose of conceptual test questions?

The purpose of conceptual test questions is to assess a person's understanding of a concept or idea rather than just their ability to recall specific information. These types of questions require critical thinking skills and demonstrate a deeper level of understanding.

2. How are conceptual test questions different from other types of questions?

Conceptual test questions are different from other types of questions, such as factual or application questions, because they focus on the understanding and application of concepts rather than just recalling information. They often require more analysis and interpretation, rather than just memorization.

3. What are some examples of conceptual test questions?

Examples of conceptual test questions include hypothetical scenarios, open-ended questions, and questions that require the use of analogies or metaphors. These types of questions may also ask for explanations, predictions, or connections between different concepts.

4. How can I prepare for conceptual test questions?

To prepare for conceptual test questions, it is important to have a solid understanding of the underlying concepts and how they relate to one another. You should also practice critical thinking skills and be able to apply concepts to different scenarios. Reviewing class notes, textbooks, and practicing with sample questions can also be helpful.

5. Are conceptual test questions more difficult than other types of questions?

Conceptual test questions can be more difficult for some people because they require a deeper understanding and critical thinking skills. However, they also provide a more comprehensive assessment of knowledge and can be a better measure of understanding. With practice and a solid understanding of the concepts, anyone can excel at conceptual test questions.