Convergence Tests: 3 Problems Explained

In summary, the following converge: a. (∞,n=1) ∑ (1+1/n)^n b. (∞,n=1) ∑ sin(n)/(n^2 + √n)c. (∞,n=3) ∑ 1/(k ln^2 k)
rjs123

Homework Statement

Determine if the following converge:

a. (∞,n=1) ∑ (1+1/n)^n

b. (∞,n=1) ∑ sin(n)/(n^2 + √n)

c. (∞,n=3) ∑ 1/(k ln^2 k)

The Attempt at a Solution

a. I tried the root test, but it failed, so i immediately went to the limit divergence test...ended up getting 1^inf...not sure what to do next...possibly p-test?

b. Ended up doing a direct comparison test...convergence...p>1

c. tried limit divergence test...got 0...stuck on what other test to do...maybe ratio test?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I've completed a and b but I am stuck on the integration part of c, any help would be appreciated.

Employ this nifty little substitution : take ln(k) = t and so dk/k = dt...

SVXX said:
Employ this nifty little substitution : take ln(k) = t and so dk/k = dt...

I was close...i set u=ln^2 k...instead of just ln(k)...ended up getting infinity...so the series diverges based on the integral test.

You made a tiny mistake in putting the limits into the integrated expression...the integral is infact finite and the series converges :)

SVXX said:
You made a tiny mistake in putting the limits into the integrated expression...the integral is infact finite and the series converges :)

I'm a little confused...I integrated this...

Int(3, inf) 1/(kLn^2 k) dk

ended up with [1/3u^3](inf, 3)

= inf - a #...which is inf

Last edited:
Hmm, no. If you take only ln(k) = t and differentiate to get dk/k = dt, that means 1/k * 1/(lnk)^2 dk = dt/t^2. The limits change to log3 to infinity. Integration of 1/t^2 is -1/t. Can you finish it off?

SVXX said:
Hmm, no. If you take only ln(k) = t and differentiate to get dk/k = dt, that means 1/k * 1/(lnk)^2 dk = dt/t^2. The limits change to log3 to infinity. Integration of 1/t^2 is -1/t. Can you finish it off?

Ok...i see where i went wrong...thanks.

Last edited:

1. What are convergence tests?

Convergence tests are mathematical techniques used to determine whether a series, or sequence of numbers, converges or diverges. In other words, they help us determine if the terms of a series approach a specific value or if they continue to grow infinitely.

2. Why are convergence tests important?

Convergence tests are important because they allow us to determine the behavior of a series and whether it can be used to accurately approximate a value. This is especially useful in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics where series are commonly used in calculations.

3. What are the three main problems addressed by convergence tests?

The three main problems addressed by convergence tests are the divergence problem, the alternating series problem, and the absolute convergence problem. The divergence problem deals with determining if a series diverges, the alternating series problem deals with determining if an alternating series converges, and the absolute convergence problem deals with determining if a series converges absolutely.

4. What are some common convergence tests used in mathematics?

Some common convergence tests used in mathematics include the ratio test, the root test, the comparison test, the limit comparison test, and the integral test. Each of these tests has its own specific conditions and criteria for determining convergence or divergence.

5. How do convergence tests relate to the concept of limits?

Convergence tests rely heavily on the concept of limits, as they use the properties of limits to determine the behavior of a series. In particular, the ratio and root tests use the limit of the ratio or root of consecutive terms to determine convergence or divergence.