1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3-D equilibrium

1. Sep 20, 2009 #1
    1. Collars A & B are connected by a 525-mm long wire and can slide freely on frictionless rods. If force P= (341 N)j is applied to collar A determine the tension of the wire when y=155mm and the magnitude of force Q(which is along the z axis) to maintain equilibrium

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\Sigma[/tex]F=0

[tex]\overline{v}[/tex]=[tex]\sqrt{vx^2+vy^2+vz^2}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I was given y was 155mm and x=200mm and found the z value of the wire to be 460mm. I then created a unit vector for the wire and came up with these equilibrium formulas:

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fx=[tex]200/525[/tex]Tab=0 (Something is wrong here)

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fy=[tex]-155/525[/tex]Tab=-341N

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fz=Q+[tex]460/525[/tex]Tab=0

Now I'm stuck....can anyone lead me in the right direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2015 #2
    Think about Newton's 3rd Law of Motion - action and reaction. So you know that a force P acting on point A will make it move up and also create tension on T(ab). However, you know also that T(ab) must have three components of xyz. The problem is that point A can only move at y axis, but to satisfy equilibrium, there must be a hidden force opposite of T(ab) in which it will make the sum of the forces on x and z zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted