Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3-D plot using 3 vectors in Matlab

1. Jul 16, 2012 #1
    I want to get a 3-d plot in Matlab, looking like the surf function. The drawback is that they are 3 vectors, which basically have random numbers. The vector is also around 7500 numbers long, so to make a matrix with all numbers will exceed the memory significantly. The x-values are within -0.12 to -0.05, the y-values are within 0.085 to 0.13 and the z-values are within 28 to 48.

I have tried sortrows and reshape to try to make matrices, but the surf plot looks odd when I do. I have also tried to use gridfit, but I don't know if I'm using it wrong, because it becomes a bent line. Using plot3, I get to see how I want it to look, like a mountain with two peaks. I would be satisfied with that unless it was for the colors in surf, which I can not add to plot3. I still think gridfit is the solution I'll try to use, but I hope someone can tell me what I need to change with the code, or if I should use some other code.

The current code I'm trying is:

xnodes=-0.13:0.0005:-0.085;
    ynodes=0:0.0005:0.5;
    figure(54);
    clf;
    [XCA,YCA,IMA]=gridfit(XC,YC,IM,xnodes,ynodes);
    surf(XCA,YCA,IMA)

where XC,YC and IM are my x,y and z-vectors I have.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted