1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3-D Statics Problem

1. Sep 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[PLAIN]http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/6546/statics.png [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

Fy = F*cosθy
    Fh = F*sinθy

Fx = Fh*cosφ = F*sinθy*cosφ
    Fz = Fh*sinφ = F*sinθy*sinφ

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm having a lot of trouble drawing vector AD in a free body diagram. I think I need to draw one as that will help me further understand the solution that is worked out. I'm just having trouble identifying the angles that I should utilize and where on the diagram they should be placed. If someone could possibly draw up a diagram that helps with identifying what is what that would be very helpful.

Fy = F*cos30
    Fh = F*sin30

You could say my main problem is identifying which is φ, I just cannot tell from the picture at all. What exactly is φ defined as, my book's definition is pretty vague.

Or am I going about this the wrong way?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2011 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi VitaX! :smile:
    φ is the angle from the x-axis (in the x,z plane) :wink:

since the tension has to be along AD,

the easiest way to do this is to use O as the origin and to find the (x,y,z) coordinates of A and D …

then the vector (D - A) is the one you want, and you can find the angles by "dotting" it with each of the three unit vectors along the axes :smile:

4. Sep 8, 2011 #3
    Ok thanks for that, determined it to be 40 degrees. Was finally able to get a good drawing of it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook