1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3-dimensional particle in a box

1. May 8, 2008 #1
    If I know how to get a wave function for a 3-dimensional particle in a box problem, what adjustments must I make to solve the same problem for a particle traveling in the +z direction in a tube of infinite length?

Box:
    0<x<a
    0<y<b
    0<z<c

Tube:
    0<x<a
    0<y<a
    0<z<infinity

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2008 #2
    Thats the basic idea. The primary effect of that, is that the wave number in the z direction won't have the same bounds.
    Most likely the wave will be a real exponential (decaying or growing) -> and clearly it can't be growing unbounded.

Does that help? Try throwing the new boundary conditions into the differential wave equation.

4. May 8, 2008 #3
    well i think i problem i'm running into is that the wave function for the box isin the form of a sine function Asin((n pi x)/a)sin((n pi y)/b). sin((n pi z)/c). But if i just sub in my infinity then that doesn't really make sense, it just goes to sin(0).

5. May 8, 2008 #4
    the z portion is no longer a sin; its going to be e^ -kz for some constant k that you have to find from solving the wave equation with separation of variables.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?