1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3-dimensional potential energy problem

1. Oct 25, 2004 #1
    I have a problem on my homework that says the potential energy of a particle is given by its position in the x-y plane according to

P.E. = x^3 + 8x^2 + 34yz

and I have to calculate the force on the particle at point (x,y,z), and all equilibrium points.

dU = 3x^2 dx + 16x dx + 34y dz + 34z dy

and F = -dU/dr with r being the vector position...

-F = 3x^2 dx/dr + 16x dx/dr + 34y dz/dr + 34z dy/dr

but that can't be the answer can it? I'm not given any dx/dr's or anything like that...I have a feeling there's some simple math thing I'm missing.

Any hints anyone can think of?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2004 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need to find the gradient of the potential - it's a vector quantity!

4. Oct 25, 2004 #3
    Hmmm...I think my problem might be I've never learned how to take a vector derivative and this might be above my head mathematically :confused:

Maybe I can separate the potential energy into x and y components...but i really don't know how.

I guess since the particle is on the x-y plane, dz = 0...so my equation can be simplified to

F = (-3x^2 - 16x) dx/dr - 34z dy/dr .

Can I change dx/dr and dy/dr into (x-direction) and (y-direction) in terms of the force? Then use pythagorean theorem to find the total force? Am I just rambling?

5. Oct 25, 2004 #4

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's really straightforward:

The x-component of the force is the partial derivative of the potential with respect to x. For the y-component use the partial wrt y and for the z-component use the partial wrt z. Voila!

6. Oct 25, 2004 #5

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

One caveat: the force is MINUS the gradient of the potential, [itex] \vec F = - \vec \nabla V [/itex]

or, to be more specific,

[itex] F_x = - {\partial V(x,y,z) \over \partial x} [/itex]

[itex] F_y = - {\partial V(x,y,z) \over \partial y} [/itex]

[itex] F_z = - {\partial V(x,y,z) \over \partial z} [/itex]

If the particle is indeed constrained to the xy plane, then the z component of the force will be canceled by a normal force. In the x and y component, one must then set the value of z corresponding to the z plane one is in (z=0 or some other value).

Pat

7. Oct 25, 2004 #6

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

nrqed,

Thanks - I meant to type "proportional to" but somehow it didn't come out!

8. Oct 26, 2004 #7
    If I take the derivative with respect to, say, x, can I assume y and z are constants? If so, I messed up on a pretty simple problem :blushing:

9. Oct 26, 2004 #8

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's essentially what you do when you take partial derivatives which applies here.

10. Oct 27, 2004 #9
    Thanks for the help guys!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?