3-dimensional potential energy problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of force on a particle at a given point and the equilibrium points, based on the potential energy function in the x-y plane. The equation for force is derived using the gradient of the potential, with the caveat that the force is minus the gradient. The conversation also addresses the partial derivatives and the assumption of constants.
winhog
I have a problem on my homework that says the potential energy of a particle is given by its position in the x-y plane according to

P.E. = x^3 + 8x^2 + 34yz

and I have to calculate the force on the particle at point (x,y,z), and all equilibrium points.

dU = 3x^2 dx + 16x dx + 34y dz + 34z dy

and F = -dU/dr with r being the vector position...

-F = 3x^2 dx/dr + 16x dx/dr + 34y dz/dr + 34z dy/dr

but that can't be the answer can it? I'm not given any dx/dr's or anything like that...I have a feeling there's some simple math thing I'm missing.

Any hints anyone can think of?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to find the gradient of the potential - it's a vector quantity!

Hmmm...I think my problem might be I've never learned how to take a vector derivative and this might be above my head mathematically :confused:

Maybe I can separate the potential energy into x and y components...but i really don't know how.

I guess since the particle is on the x-y plane, dz = 0...so my equation can be simplified to

F = (-3x^2 - 16x) dx/dr - 34z dy/dr .

Can I change dx/dr and dy/dr into (x-direction) and (y-direction) in terms of the force? Then use pythagorean theorem to find the total force? Am I just rambling?

It's really straightforward:

The x-component of the force is the partial derivative of the potential with respect to x. For the y-component use the partial wrt y and for the z-component use the partial wrt z. Voila!

Tide said:
It's really straightforward:

The x-component of the force is the partial derivative of the potential with respect to x. For the y-component use the partial wrt y and for the z-component use the partial wrt z. Voila!

One caveat: the force is MINUS the gradient of the potential, [itex] \vec F = - \vec \nabla V [/itex]

or, to be more specific,

[itex] F_x = - {\partial V(x,y,z) \over \partial x} [/itex]

[itex] F_y = - {\partial V(x,y,z) \over \partial y} [/itex]

[itex] F_z = - {\partial V(x,y,z) \over \partial z} [/itex]

If the particle is indeed constrained to the xy plane, then the z component of the force will be canceled by a normal force. In the x and y component, one must then set the value of z corresponding to the z plane one is in (z=0 or some other value).

Pat

nrqed,

Thanks - I meant to type "proportional to" but somehow it didn't come out!

If I take the derivative with respect to, say, x, can I assume y and z are constants? If so, I messed up on a pretty simple problem :blushing:

That's essentially what you do when you take partial derivatives which applies here.

Thanks for the help guys!

1. What is the definition of 3-dimensional potential energy problem?

A 3-dimensional potential energy problem is a scientific concept that involves determining the potential energy of an object in a three-dimensional space, taking into account its position and interactions with other objects and forces.

2. How is a 3-dimensional potential energy problem different from a 2-dimensional one?

In a 3-dimensional potential energy problem, the object's position and interactions are considered in three dimensions, while a 2-dimensional problem only takes into account two dimensions. This means that a 3-dimensional problem is more complex and requires more calculations and considerations.

3. What are the main factors that affect the potential energy in a 3-dimensional problem?

The main factors that affect potential energy in a 3-dimensional problem include the object's mass, its position in space, and the forces acting on it, such as gravity or electromagnetic forces. The distance between the object and other objects or forces also plays a role.

4. How is a 3-dimensional potential energy problem solved?

A 3-dimensional potential energy problem is typically solved using mathematical equations and principles, such as the law of conservation of energy and the inverse square law. Advanced techniques, such as calculus, may also be used to solve more complex problems.

5. What applications does 3-dimensional potential energy have in real life?

3-dimensional potential energy is a fundamental concept in physics and has numerous applications in real life, such as in understanding the behavior of particles in a three-dimensional space, calculating the potential energy of molecules in chemical reactions, and determining the stability of structures and systems.