Applying 3 Concurrent Angular Velocities to Vectors

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a stabilization platform design involving 3 gyroscopes and unit vectors representing the platform's orientation. The question is how to apply 3 orthogonal angular velocities to these vectors, and the proposed solution involves using euler angles and a rotation matrix or quaternion. Additionally, a suggested approach is to use vector calculations to determine the axis of rotation for the platform.
Ryoko
This problem has me stumped. I'm toying with a stabilization platform design which has 3 gyroscopes supplying angular velocity -- one for each axis (x,y,z). The model has units vectors (x,y,z) representing the platform's orientation in space. The question is how do I apply the 3 orthogonal angular velocities to these vectors. I tried applying euler angles one at a time and just going with that. However, euler angles are sensitive to the order in which they are applied and it didn't take long for errors to accumulate.

What's the trick to applying 3 concurrent angular velocities to a vector? Is there a transform which takes the 3 angles and produces a rotation matrix or quaternion?

Physics news on Phys.org
Call your origin vector ##A## and your destination vector ##B##. Then ##C = A\times B## is the axis around which you need to rotate. If you make the rotation rates around the x,y,z-axes proportional to the x,y,z-components of ##C##, the platform should rotate from ##A## toward ##B##.

1. What is a 3 DOF rotation on a vector?

A 3 DOF (Degrees of Freedom) rotation on a vector is a mathematical operation that describes the movement of a vector in three-dimensional space. It involves rotating the vector around three different axes, typically the x, y, and z axes.

2. What is the difference between 3 DOF rotation and 2 DOF rotation?

The main difference between 3 DOF rotation and 2 DOF rotation is the number of axes that the vector is rotated around. 3 DOF rotation involves rotation around three axes, while 2 DOF rotation involves rotation around only two axes.

3. How is a 3 DOF rotation represented mathematically?

A 3 DOF rotation can be represented using various mathematical notations, such as Euler angles, quaternions, or rotation matrices. Each notation has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the choice depends on the specific application.

4. What are some real-world applications of 3 DOF rotations on vectors?

3 DOF rotations on vectors have many practical applications in fields such as robotics, computer graphics, and aerospace engineering. They are used to describe the movement of objects in 3D space, such as the rotation of a robot arm or the orientation of a spacecraft.

5. How can I calculate a 3 DOF rotation on a vector?

There are various methods for calculating a 3 DOF rotation on a vector, depending on the chosen mathematical notation. Some common techniques include using trigonometric functions, matrix multiplication, or specialized algorithms such as the Rodrigues' rotation formula.