3 facts maybe you don't know about antimatter

• Thread starter alberto91
  • Start date
Hi!

I would like to share with you guys some facts you might not know about antimatter:

1º - Recent studies suggest that an antimatter spacecraft could achieve up to 70% the speed of light, reaching Proxima b in just about 6 years.

2º - The maximum time that antimatter has been stored is 405 days.

3º - According to the former Fermilab physicist Gerald Jackson, antimatter rockets could become a reality by 2050.

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIgpTrmKUZs&list=PL3RiFKfZj3ptaxqH3te_eKz1ge_CxQxjw&index=1

What are your thoughts about antimatter propulsion?

Drakkith

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2018 Award
3º - According to the former Fermilab physicist Gerald Jackson, antimatter rockets could become a reality by 2050.
Considering the total amount of antimatter ever produced is absolutely miniscule, and that we don't have efficient means of producing it, I can't see how Gerald Jackson's statement could be taken seriously.

It's a nice idea, but one that is extremely far from being realized.

Anti-matter in theory is the best form of energy storage, however its like trying to blow up a balloon made of wool: it doesn't store easily, not to mention the fact that it generally releases light, which isn't great for propulsion.

1º - Recent studies suggest that an antimatter spacecraft could achieve up to 70% the speed of light, reaching Proxima b in just about 6 years.
When I first read this I thought you meant an a rocket made of anti-matter and was wondering how this could possibly work.

Cheers

phyzguy

Science Advisor
Hi!

I would like to share with you guys some facts you might not know about antimatter:

2º - The maximum time that antimatter has been stored is 405 days.

Let's do a couple of quick calculations. Assume your spacecraft weighs as much as a Boeing 747, m = 400,000 kg. A speed of 70% of the speed of light is a Lorentz factor of γ = 1.4. The kinetic energy required to accelerate to this speed is (γ-1) m c^2 = 1.4*10^22 Joules. So the antimatter needs to store at least this much energy, plus allowance for efficiency. Now how efficient is the production of anti-matter? Today it is extremely inefficient, but let's be generous and say you can get the efficiency up to 1%. So you need about 10^24 Joules of energy to fuel your spacecraft. How much is this? Total world energy production in 2013 was about 6*10^20 Joules. So is it reasonable to you that in the next 30 years you can ramp up world energy production by a factor of almost 10,000, and then use it all to fuel a spacecraft?

When I first read this I thought you meant an a rocket made of anti-matter and was wondering how this could possibly work.
I had precisely the same thought. Be careful where you sit!