3 facts that you might not know about antimatter

In summary, antimatter propulsion is a promising idea for space travel, but it faces major challenges in terms of production and efficiency. While recent studies suggest that an antimatter spacecraft could potentially reach Proxima b in just 6 years, the practicality of this is questionable. The maximum time that antimatter has been stored is only 405 days and current production methods are extremely inefficient. While some experts believe that antimatter rockets could become a reality by 2050, it is unlikely that the necessary advancements in energy production and efficiency can be achieved within that time frame.
alberto91
Hi!

I would like to share with you guys some facts you might not know about antimatter:

1º - Recent studies suggest that an antimatter spacecraft could achieve up to 70% the speed of light, reaching Proxima b in just about 6 years.

2º - The maximum time that antimatter has been stored is 405 days.

3º - According to the former Fermilab physicist Gerald Jackson, antimatter rockets could become a reality by 2050.

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIgpTrmKUZs&list=PL3RiFKfZj3ptaxqH3te_eKz1ge_CxQxjw&index=1

What are your thoughts about antimatter propulsion?

Physics news on Phys.org
Alberto91 said:
3º - According to the former Fermilab physicist Gerald Jackson, antimatter rockets could become a reality by 2050.

Considering the total amount of antimatter ever produced is absolutely miniscule, and that we don't have efficient means of producing it, I can't see how Gerald Jackson's statement could be taken seriously.

Alberto91 said:

It's a nice idea, but one that is extremely far from being realized.

Likes Ryan_m_b and BillTre
Anti-matter in theory is the best form of energy storage, however its like trying to blow up a balloon made of wool: it doesn't store easily, not to mention the fact that it generally releases light, which isn't great for propulsion.

Alberto91 said:
1º - Recent studies suggest that an antimatter spacecraft could achieve up to 70% the speed of light, reaching Proxima b in just about 6 years.

When I first read this I thought you meant an a rocket made of anti-matter and was wondering how this could possibly work.

Cheers

Likes BillTre
Alberto91 said:
Hi!

I would like to share with you guys some facts you might not know about antimatter:

2º - The maximum time that antimatter has been stored is 405 days.

Let's do a couple of quick calculations. Assume your spacecraft weighs as much as a Boeing 747, m = 400,000 kg. A speed of 70% of the speed of light is a Lorentz factor of γ = 1.4. The kinetic energy required to accelerate to this speed is (γ-1) m c^2 = 1.4*10^22 Joules. So the antimatter needs to store at least this much energy, plus allowance for efficiency. Now how efficient is the production of anti-matter? Today it is extremely inefficient, but let's be generous and say you can get the efficiency up to 1%. So you need about 10^24 Joules of energy to fuel your spacecraft . How much is this? Total world energy production in 2013 was about 6*10^20 Joules. So is it reasonable to you that in the next 30 years you can ramp up world energy production by a factor of almost 10,000, and then use it all to fuel a spacecraft ?

• Informative
Likes mfb, Ryan_m_b and Asymptotic
cosmik debris said:
When I first read this I thought you meant an a rocket made of anti-matter and was wondering how this could possibly work.

I had precisely the same thought. Be careful where you sit!

Alberto91 said:
I would like to share with you guys some facts ... What are your thoughts ... ?
My thought is that no, excluding your #2, I don't think you are sharing "facts" at all, except inasmuch as you are repeating nonsense that someone else may in fact have said.

See post #5

Thread closed for a bit for Moderation...

An off-topic discussion has been deleted, so the thread is re-opened. Thanks for your patience.

1. What is antimatter?

Antimatter is a type of matter that is composed of antiparticles, which have the same mass as regular particles but have opposite charges.

2. How is antimatter created?

Antimatter can be created through high-energy collisions between particles or through the decay of certain radioactive elements.

3. What are some potential uses for antimatter?

Antimatter has potential uses in medical imaging, cancer treatment, and as a propulsion source for spacecraft.

4. Can antimatter be stored?

Yes, antimatter can be stored using magnetic fields to contain it and prevent it from coming into contact with regular matter, which would result in annihilation.

5. How is antimatter studied in the laboratory?

Scientists use particle accelerators to create and study antimatter in controlled environments. They also use detectors to measure the energy and behavior of antiparticles.