3% Hydrogen Peroxide

I've been advised by my dentist to use 3% Hydrogen Peroxide as a mouthwash, to help clear bacteria out from underneath the gumline. Although I trust his judgment, I couldn't help but notice that hydrogen peroxide is poisonous. I'm sure this is safe to do for the short term, as it's used as a topic antiseptic all the time, but I'm wondering about possible long term effects of this, so any information or opinions would be helpful

edit: and yes, I know I'm not supposed to swallow the stuff

thanks

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

mrjeffy321
Science Advisor
I wouldnt be too woried about 3% H2O2....its the 30% you need to watch out for.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_peroxide ,
The Food and Drug Administration has approved 3% hydrogen peroxide ("Food Grade", or without added chemical stabilisers) for use as a mouthwash. Commercial peroxide solutions (most H2O2 bought over the counter from pharmacies) are not suitable for ingestion as they contain additional harmful chemicals.
And the MSDS, http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/H4073.htm ,
Ingestion:
Large oral doses may cause irritation and blistering to the mouth, throat, and abdomen. May also cause abdominal pain, vomiting, and diarrhea.
So as you said, just dont swallow any of it and you should be in good shape.

I am an American living in New Zealand. Hydrogen peroxide 3% costs about 5$ for 125ml here. Is there any cheap easy way to make a couple liters of the stuff?

Borek
Mentor
Depends on the planned use. You may try to buy 30% stuff and dilute it tenfold, but I would not do that if you need 3% solution for medical use, as you don't know what is in the 30% technical solution - it may contain harmful stabilizers or contaminants. But it can be perfectly safe for other tasks.