1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3% Hydrogen Peroxide

1. Jan 17, 2006 #1
    I've been advised by my dentist to use 3% Hydrogen Peroxide as a mouthwash, to help clear bacteria out from underneath the gumline. Although I trust his judgment, I couldn't help but notice that hydrogen peroxide is poisonous. I'm sure this is safe to do for the short term, as it's used as a topic antiseptic all the time, but I'm wondering about possible long term effects of this, so any information or opinions would be helpful

edit: and yes, I know I'm not supposed to swallow the stuff

thanks

Last edited: Jan 17, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2006 #2

mrjeffy321

Science Advisor

I wouldnt be too woried about 3% H2O2....its the 30% you need to watch out for.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_peroxide ,
    And the MSDS, http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/H4073.htm ,
    So as you said, just dont swallow any of it and you should be in good shape.

4. Apr 30, 2010 #3
    I am an American living in New Zealand. Hydrogen peroxide 3% costs about 5$ for 125ml here. Is there any cheap easy way to make a couple liters of the stuff?

5. Apr 30, 2010 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Depends on the planned use. You may try to buy 30% stuff and dilute it tenfold, but I would not do that if you need 3% solution for medical use, as you don't know what is in the 30% technical solution - it may contain harmful stabilizers or contaminants. But it can be perfectly safe for other tasks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?