What Happens When Identical Charged Spheres Make Contact?

In summary, the conversation is about equalizing the net charges of identical spheres through touching them to each other. The resulting charges can be calculated by dividing the initial charge by the number of spheres being touched.
jegues

Homework Statement

See figure attached from problem statement.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've never really done a question of this type so I'm slow to get going.

I'm not sure what is happening when he touches the spheres with the others.

He first touches C to A:

They are postively charged so they should be in repulsion. Is there any exchange of charge or something happening here?

He then touches C to B:

C is postively charged while B is negatively charged so they should attract fairly well. Again, is there some sort of exchange in charge happening here when they touch?

What is happening when the spheres make contact!?

Once I understand this I will worry about trying to find the electrostatic force between spheres A and B.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• CH21-Q67.JPG
    CH21-Q67.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 413
Physics news on Phys.org
Since all the spheres are identical, when you touch C to A, the NET CHARGE of both spheres will equalize. Then the same when you touch C' to B (I say C' because it is not charged the same as C was originally)...it's a matter of you equally distributing those net charges to the spheres, so you know how much charge is on the spheres when you want to use coulomb's law.

Apphysicist said:
Since all the spheres are identical, when you touch C to A, the NET CHARGE of both spheres will equalize. Then the same when you touch C' to B (I say C' because it is not charged the same as C was originally)...it's a matter of you equally distributing those net charges to the spheres, so you know how much charge is on the spheres when you want to use coulomb's law.

So I should find the charge of C' and A' then correct?

How do I find this?

I'm then going to have to find the charge of B' as well.

How do we do this?

You're given all the initial charges of the spheres. Now, when you touch any two, they will equalize in terms of Net Charge...

e.g. I touch a +2mC sphere to a -2mC sphere...both sphere's come away ~neutrally charged.

Apphysicist said:
You're given all the initial charges of the spheres. Now, when you touch any two, they will equalize in terms of Net Charge...

e.g. I touch a +2mC sphere to a -2mC sphere...both sphere's come away ~neutrally charged.

So if I sphere C (Q/2) to sphere A (Q) do they should both have a resulting charge of 3/4Q correct?

Then if I touch C'(3/4Q) to B they should have a resulting charge of 1/4Q.

Is this correct?

1. What is the concept of 3 identical charged spheres?

The concept of 3 identical charged spheres refers to a scenario in which three spheres with the same charge are placed in close proximity to each other.

2. How do the charges on the spheres interact with each other?

The charges on the spheres will repel each other due to the principle of like charges repel. This will result in the spheres pushing away from each other.

3. What is the net charge of the system?

The net charge of the system will depend on the individual charges of the spheres. If all three spheres have the same charge, the net charge of the system will be three times the charge of one sphere.

4. How does the distance between the spheres affect the strength of the repulsion?

The strength of the repulsion between the spheres is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the strength of the repulsion decreases.

5. What happens if one of the spheres has a different charge?

If one of the spheres has a different charge, it will still experience repulsion from the other two spheres. However, the overall movement and behavior of the system will depend on the individual charges and distances between the spheres.