1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other 3 Job offers!

1. Mar 6, 2016 #1
    As the title clearly explains; I have found some employment.
    At the community college I'm attending; I got offered a Federal Work Study/student aid/consultant customer service represenative-type job position with one of the computer labs within my college.
    The compensation/base pay (before taxes), is $9/hour.
    -----
    I'm also scheduled to sign up for the US Marines Reserve in the Fall (another source of income). I'm going to schedule my MEPs screening/ basic training for the Summer of 2017 (dedicated summer to military). The marines reserve I hear is the best way to go about joining the military these days. The reserves (of all branches), have the highest acceptance rates, according to the recruiters.
    -----
    I'm also going to use 5% of the money made from the work study I've been offered to launch a sole propretorship IT/computer software company.
    I know at one point, for a very short period of time, I will be at one point be juggling 3 jobs, and being full-time at the college (extremely busy/stressful).
    As the federal work study/student computer lab aide consultant job position only lasts for an academic year, I will settle with 2 jobs in the end. As long as I keep doing what I'm doing, It works out. Also; with my sole proprietorship startup business; a known perk is that I make my own hours, and be a self-taught business owner and manager.
    I'm an Information Technology student at the community college I attend. Here is a link to that program:
    http://www.monroecc.edu/academics/majors-programs/stem/information-technology-associate-degree/
    When I hit the IT degree program (Liberal Arts STEM at the moment); As soon as I start developing apps & marketing them on app stores, then I will be legally able to put: "Sole Proprietor, Owner" on my Resume in the experience section. I'm scheduled to start my self-employment in very latest the Summer 2017 (about the same time as the USMC). There's no law saying I can't be self-employed.
    I knew things would work out for me eventually. I'm also networking with my peers/students/colleagues and teachers at the college I'm at to find jobs.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2016 #2
    Congrats! What will your IT company be about?

4. Mar 6, 2016 #3
    It will begin with Computer software/apps design. I'm intending to initially launch it as a sole proprietorship company (to start with). One of the perks to that is that I make my own hours. The USMC/Reserves job should be locked in, but it's more "up in the air" right now. I'm intending to make the sole company evolve into a larger corporation.

5. Mar 6, 2016 #4
    It will be mostly computer software/apps. I'm intending to specialize in iOS/mobile device programming at first. The Marines is more "up in the air" at the moment. Most likely, the Marines will also work out. So, actually I have 2 jobs locked in at the moment. The Marines is still "up in the air", but I should also be accepted to that as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted