1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3 little questions

1. May 30, 2005 #1
    Hi everyone, I've justed started work, force, kenetic, poteintial, and acceleration over these days and I've come across these problems, some which I don't understand. I hope you guys can help out.

1) A car travelling initailly @ 26.9 m/s comes to a stop in 2.61s. The masss of the car w/ the driver is 1180 kg. Calculate the acceleration and the net force required to cause that acceleration

2) The force of gravity on a 251 kg spacecraft on the Moon's surface is 408 N. What is the acceleation of a free-falling object on the surface of the moon?

3) The heaveist person in history is about 6.2 kN. Determine the mass of this record holder in kilograms.

*If I'm not mistaken, the answer to question #3 should be 632 kg, right?

It would be best if you could show me the steps to get to the answer.

Many, many thanks,
  2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2005 #2
    These might be of concern to you.

1 follows directly from definitions of average acceleration, velocity, and newton's laws.
    2 just requires Newton's 2nd Law
    3 is 633kg, review significant figures.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?