Calculating Tension in a Pulley System with Three Masses

In summary, the conversation discusses the conditions for M3 to move downwards in an ideal system with mass-less and frictionless pulleys and rope. The formula used to calculate the tension is T=(M1g + 0.5M2g + M3g)/3, and the final answer is 2M3 > M1 + 0.5M2. The individual is unsure if this is the correct approach and asks for guidance on finding the tension in the rope.
Anza Power
We have the following system in ideal condition (pulleys and rope are mass-less and frictionless)

295a8hz.png

We need to find the conditions in which M3 will go downwards...

Ok so here's what I did:

M3g > T

And this is what I'm not sure of:
T=(M1g + 0.5M2g + M3g)/3

So the answer which I came to was:

2M3 > M1 + 0.5M2

But I'm a bit unsure, did I go wrong? how do I approach this question and how do I calculate the tension in the rope?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am sorry to bump this but can someone just tell me if the tension calculation is right? I just need to know how to find the tension and I can solve everything (there are other parts in this question)

1. What is a pulley system?

A pulley system is a simple machine that is used to lift or move objects by changing the direction of force needed to lift the object. It consists of a rope or belt wrapped around a wheel or groove, and can be used to lift objects vertically or horizontally.

2. How does a pulley system work?

A pulley system works by distributing the weight of an object across multiple strands of rope or belt, making it easier to lift or move the object. The pulley also changes the direction of the force needed to lift the object, making it more efficient.

3. What are the three masses on a pulley system?

The three masses on a pulley system refer to the objects or weights that are being lifted or moved by the system. For example, in a simple pulley system, there would be two masses on either side of the pulley and a third mass hanging from the pulley itself.

4. How does the mass of the objects affect the pulley system?

The mass of the objects being lifted or moved affects the pulley system by changing the amount of force needed to lift the objects. The heavier the objects, the more force is required to lift them. The mass of the objects also affects the tension in the rope or belt, which can impact the overall efficiency of the system.

5. What is the purpose of using a pulley system with multiple masses?

The purpose of using a pulley system with multiple masses is to distribute the weight of the objects being lifted or moved across multiple strands of rope or belt, making it easier to lift or move the objects. This can also make the system more efficient by reducing the amount of force needed to lift the objects.