Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3 molecules with a single excitation

1. Jan 15, 2014 #1
    I have 2 molecules and a single excitation (which can be on either molecule), i.e. I have the states: (using bra-ket notation)

[itex]\left| E_{1} G\right\rangle[/itex] and [itex]\left| G E_{2}\right\rangle[/itex]

where [itex]E_{1}[/itex] is the excitation on molecule 1 and [itex]G[/itex] is the ground state. I'm happy that I can rewrite these states as:

[itex]\frac{\left(\left| E_{1} G\right\rangle + \left| G E_{2}\right\rangle\right)}{√2}[/itex]

and

[itex]\frac{\left(\left| E_{1} G\right\rangle - \left| G E_{2}\right\rangle\right)}{√2}[/itex].

But what is the equivalent if I have 3 molecules and a single excitation? i.e. I now start with the states [itex]\left| E_{1} G G\right\rangle[/itex], [itex]\left| G E_{2} G\right\rangle[/itex] and [itex]\left| G G E_{3} \right\rangle[/itex], and want to rewrite them?

I think one of the new states should be [itex]\frac{\left(\left| E_{1} G G\right\rangle + \left| G E_{2} G\right\rangle + \left| G G E_{3} \right\rangle \right)}{√3}[/itex], but I'm not sure about the others?

Any help would be really appreciated- thanks!!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted