1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3-nines clock

1. Sep 22, 2013 #1

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I come across some odd stuff online....

528836_325385777573552_804137390_n.jpg

... OK there's a typo for the 5 ... should be ##\small [\sqrt{9}]!-(9/9)## and the one for 7 looks a bit forced...
    What I'm wondering is if there are other sets that do something like this ... i.e. so for a given integer Z, we can find another integer z<Z so that the integers ≤Z can be represented using the same n (integer) instances of z in each case.

It'll probably help of Z is something with lots of divisors ... i.e. Z= oh I dunno... 12.
    Or is it just a case of "given sufficient cleverness" - which is to say that there are so many legitimate mathematical operations that it is always possible to create this effect?

Aside:
    Millenialists take note: hold the clock upside down and all the numbers are made out of three 6's.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2013 #2

mfb

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

I'm sure there are lists of that somewhere.

1=(X/X)^X
    2=(X+X)/X
    Those two are always possible.
    9 is nice, as you can choose between 9 and 3 via the square root.
    With small even numbers, it is tricky to get large odd numbers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook