1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3-Object Elastic Collision

1. Nov 24, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Matthew and Amanda have challenged Trevor and Julie to a curling match, played with perfectly elastic rocks sliding on level frictionless ice. Three rocks are lined up all in a row (perfectly straight line). B is a junior rock and its mass is exactly half of A or C. B and C are stationary while A approaches. Calculate the time interval between the collision of A&B and the collision of B&C. The distance between B and C is 4.5m. Rock A has an initial velocity of 1.5 m/s.

Diagram: 2M -----> M __________ 2M
    Distance between M and the right-most 2M is 4.5m.

2. Relevant equations

m1v1+m2v2=m1v1^prime + m2v2^prime
    d=vt, where v is equal to v2^prime
    Probably some equation that I missed (main problem of the question that I can't figure out)

3. The attempt at a solution

Variables: m1=2 kg
    m2=1 kg
    v1=1.5 m/s
    v2=0 m/s

Then I tried doing v2^prime=d/t, which got me to:

I tried subbing that into the other equation to make it 3=2v1^prime+v2^prime, but that got me nowhere. So basically I'm stuck trying to find v2^prime, which is what I need to figure out the time interval between the 2 collisions. I tried to think of the impulse&momentum equations, but they didn't seem to help (can't find the force for the impulse equation).

Any help is appreciated! Thanks :).

-ElementUser (first post in these forums)
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi ElementUser! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(no need to write ^prime … just write ' :wink:)

In exam questions, "perfectly elastic" means you can use conservation of energy. :wink:
  4. Nov 25, 2008 #3
    Thanks tiny-tim :)

Took me a long time because my physics teacher today added a portion for this question, that you also have to find the time interval for the second timer Rock B will hit Rock A (after B bounces off of C).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?