1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3 perfect polarizing films

1. Nov 11, 2005 #1
    If you have 3 perfect polarizing films and you place them on top of the other, with each successive film oriented +45 degrees from the one before it (first and last oriented perpendicular to each other and middle polarizer at 45 degrees between them). If one shines a light on this polarizer stack with an intensity of 1 watt, what is the intensity of the light on the other side of the three polarizer stack?

Now when I tried to figure this out I assume that the light is collimated and that the films are perfect polarizer. But I got stuck on the actually equation... Anyone out there knows how to solve this?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2005 #2

Staff: Mentor

Perhaps the Law of Malus applies.

For each polarizer - Itrans = Io cos2[itex]\theta[/itex], where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle of between axis of polarizer and some reference.

The question is what is the transmission of light through the first polarizer.

Edit: See http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/phyopt/polcross.html

for discussion of crossed polarizers and Law of Malus.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?