1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3 phase 2hp motor current

1. Nov 22, 2008 #1
    hi there,
    Looking for some info, on how i would find the current draw of a 2 Hp motor running at 208v 3 phase with a unity power factor and efficenty of 100%. I cant seem to put it together today and cannot get ahold of a TA, basically i need to size wires/fuses in a schematic for this current draw and completly forgot how to do this. I keep getting 862 A which i know is way too high. I know 2 hp = 1492 watts. Can someone please help me with the mathematic breakdown? Would be appreciated.

i think im losing it been a real bad week for me.
    I think can use this:

P(watts) = I(Amps) * v(volts)

1492 = I * 208
    I = 7.17 A per phase?

Is this correct?

Thanks,
    Matt.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2008 #2
    Anyone?

4. Nov 23, 2008 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is not my field of expertise, but I am wondering if the 1492 W is the total power, and should be divided up among the 3 phases before doing the "P=IV" calculation?

5. Nov 23, 2008 #4

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your calculation is correct for a single phase motor. For three phase you need to divied by 1.73 (square root of 3).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?