Calculating Real Power in a 3 Phase Circuit

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to hand calculate the real power for a 3 phase star connected load being supplied by a 240V, 400Hz, 3 phase generator through a long 3 core cable with negligible resistance and a line resistance of 0.1 ohms. The load consists of a 0.25 ohms resistor in series with a 130 (nano)H inductor. Discussions include finding the angle, current, and real power using various formulas, as well as the effect of the cable resistance on the power calculation.
orla22
If the line current is 240V, 400Hz, 3 phase generator supplies a balanced 3 phase star connected load through a long 3 core cable. load phase is a 0.25 ohms resistor in series with a 130 (nano)H inductor. 3 core cable has negligable resistance and a line resistance of 0.1 ohms.

How do hand calculate the real power.

I can work it out but can't get the right answer can someone help...
I know the formula is P=V.I.Cos(ange)

i know to find angle:
Z=R+jX
X=XL-XC
i get X to equal 3.267e-4 ohms.
therefore Z = 0.25 + j3.267e-4
so the angle is 0.0749

i know how to find current:
V=IZ
115/0.25+j3.267e-4
I=460

so real power = 115 x 460 x cos (0.0749) = 52900 W but the answer is 59113 W

Physics news on Phys.org
orla22 said:
If the line current is 240V, 400Hz, 3 phase generator supplies a balanced 3 phase star connected load through a long 3 core cable. load phase is a 0.25 ohms resistor in series with a 130 (nano)H inductor. 3 core cable has negligable resistance and a line resistance of 0.1 ohms.

How do hand calculate the real power.

I can work it out but can't get the right answer can someone help...
I know the formula is P=V.I.Cos(ange)

i know to find angle:
Z=R+jX
X=XL-XC
i get X to equal 3.267e-4 ohms.
therefore Z = 0.25 + j3.267e-4
so the angle is 0.0749

i know how to find current:
V=IZ
115/0.25+j3.267e-4
I=460

so real power = 115 x 460 x cos (0.0749) = 52900 W but the answer is 59113 W

Welcome to the PF. Where did the 115 come from? The problem says the voltage is 240Vrms. And remember that 240Vrms is the source voltage -- you are dropping some voltage across the supply cable, which doesn't make it to the load...

sorry yes your right 240/root 3 = 138v then you say i have to take voltage off this because of internal resistance which is 0.1 ohms? how would i do that?

orla22 said:
sorry yes your right 240/root 3 = 138v then you say i have to take voltage off this because of internal resistance which is 0.1 ohms? how would i do that?

check your PMs. I sent you a question regarding this problem.

xcvxcvvc said:
check your PMs. I sent you a question regarding this problem.

Turns out to be a good side question. We're working on it. Thanks.

orla22 said:

Well, normally 0.1 Ohms would be pretty negligible as cable resistance. But with the load being only 0.25 Ohms itself, the 0.1 Ohms of cable/source resistance is non-negligible. So if they are asking about power delivered to the load, you will have a voltage divider between the cable and the load resistance (or impedance). You need to include the cable resistance in your calculations of the voltages and currents, in order to get an accurate power delivery calculation...

is this the circuit that represents the question above? the 16.144Kw being the total real power ( the power excluding any internal resistance?)

Attachments

• meh.jpg
    meh.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 441
orla22 said:
is this the circuit that represents the question above? the 16.144Kw being the total real power ( the power excluding any internal resistance?)

I don't see the 0.1 Ohms of line resistance in that simulation...

where do i put that then?

berkeman said:
I don't see the 0.1 Ohms of line resistance in that simulation...

You tell us. Describe what each thing is in your simulation schematic, and how that corresponds to the things in the original problem statement. Then tell us where would be a logical place to put the cable resistance, in order to model it and the whole system accurately. Then please also show us how the answer changes when you include the cable resistance... How big of a change is it?

is this the circuit that represents the question above? the 16.144Kw being the total real power ( the power excluding any internal resistance?) notice i did say "the power excluding any internal resistance?" i .e. without the 0.1 ohm resistance

1. What is a 3 phase circuit?

A 3 phase circuit is an electrical circuit that consists of three conductors, also known as phases, that carry alternating current with a phase difference of 120 degrees. This type of circuit is commonly used in industrial and commercial applications due to its efficiency and ability to handle large amounts of power.

2. How does a 3 phase circuit differ from a single phase circuit?

A single phase circuit has only one conductor carrying alternating current, while a 3 phase circuit has three conductors carrying alternating current with a phase difference of 120 degrees. This allows a 3 phase circuit to deliver more power and have a higher efficiency compared to a single phase circuit.

3. What is real power in a 3 phase circuit?

Real power, also known as active power, is the power that is actually consumed by the load in a 3 phase circuit. It is measured in watts and is responsible for performing useful work, such as powering motors or lighting.

4. How is real power calculated in a 3 phase circuit?

Real power in a 3 phase circuit can be calculated by multiplying the line voltage by the line current by the power factor, and then multiplying it by the square root of three. The formula for real power is P = √3 x V x I x cos(θ), where P is real power, V is line voltage, I is line current, and cos(θ) is the power factor.

5. What is the significance of real power in a 3 phase circuit?

Real power is important in a 3 phase circuit as it represents the actual power that is being consumed by the load. It is used to determine the efficiency of the circuit and can help in identifying any power losses or inefficiencies. In addition, real power is crucial for proper billing and metering of electricity usage in industrial and commercial settings.