Measuring Current Flow Through Neutral Wire with Open Phase R

In summary: Did you try double checking your calculations?In summary, the conversation discusses the measurement of current flow through a neutral wire when one phase is open circuited and the impedance per load is 3+7j. The individual asks about using an ammeter and calculating the current, and receives guidance on how to approach the problem using knowledge of AC circuits and KCL. The conversation also touches on the importance of knowing the phases of voltage supplies and how they affect the phases of current. The final answer is determined to be 15.1 amps due to an unbalanced load.
lukus09
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment [Broken]...

how do i measure the current flow threw the neutral wire if phase R is open circuited? the impedance per load is 3+7j

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your link gives a 404 error...

Do you need to physically measure it by using an ammeter or calculate it? And you'll have to show your attempt before we can give you a push in the right direction.

Last edited:
both. i attached an ammeter to the neutral wire and i put an access wire from the input of the ac power suplly to the out R and i have got a reading, but i need to hand calculate it.

Last edited:
Okay, I've never heard of access wire (I'm non-english) but I assume it open circuits the R phase, as you described in your first post.

But this calculation should be fairly simple to do with only the basic knowledge of AC circuits and KCL. Just think what happens to the current if a circuit is opened and what happens when currents meet in a node. I assume you have had theory on 3-phase and you know the phases of the power supplies in such a system.

as far as i am aware it is now an unbalanced load meaning the current of R, Y and B is Ir+Ib+Ic?and I am sure the impedance 3+7j is needed to work it out to.

You're right, but if the R-phase is opened, is there a current trough that wire? And you can substitute the one voltage supply with three different ones in each loop with the same voltage, but different phase since they are in star formation. Can you tell me what the phases are?

If you are having trouble figuring the phases out, here's a good reading to find them out.

Last edited:
do i need to know the phases to work out the current in the nuetral wire?

lukus09 said:
do i need to know the phases to work out the current in the nuetral wire?

Yes you do. The phases of the voltage supplies affect the phases of the currents. The phases of the voltage are standardized, though.

sorry jus realized the impedance is 7+3j. i have worked out the phases to be Z1 is -23.2, Z2 is -143.2 and Z3 is 263.2

Do you mean the phases of the currents? And is the impedance 3+j7 or 7+3j, you have given two different values?

Last edited:
yes and it is 7+j3

lukus09 said:
yes and it is 7+j3

Right. The phase of I2 is correct, but I guess there's a typo in I3. Shouldn't it be -263.2? And the current for I1 would be right if the wire wasn't open circuited. I have given you hints earlier, of what the value of I1 should be.

Once you find out the I1, you are all set to calculate as you have said, I1+I2+I3. You probably have the magnitude as well, if you have determined the phases.

yes it is a typo it is -263.2. I only need the magnitude do i not? just to find the amps in the neutral wire though and the magnitude is the same for each phase i get it to be 7.62A?

lukus09 said:
I only need the magnitude do i not? just to find the amps in the neutral wire though and the magnitude is the same for each phase i get it to be 7.62A?

That could be, but usually when they ask for current they want the phase as well. You are right, though, the magnitude is the same for each phase and its the same for the current in the neutral wire. But I get about double the magnitude you get. How did you calculate it.

squareroot(14^2 + 6^2) = 15.23

Um, now you have calculated the magnitude of the impedance and doubled it. To find out the current, you have to use Ohm's law.

so its 115/squareroot(7^2+3^2) = 15.1? but that is the same as the line current :S:S

In this case their magnitude are the same, since only two wires are carrying a current.

Last edited:
so is 15.1 the correct answer, what explains the non zero value other than its unbalanced?

If you used the correct values, then it should be. But I can't think of any other reason than unbalanced load.

What is an open phase in an electrical circuit?

An open phase in an electrical circuit refers to a situation where one of the three phases of a three-phase power system is not functioning properly. This can be caused by a damaged wire, a faulty connection, or a blown fuse or circuit breaker.

What is the purpose of measuring current flow through the neutral wire with open phase R?

The purpose of measuring current flow through the neutral wire with open phase R is to determine the amount of current flowing through the neutral wire in the absence of one of the phases. This can help identify the location of the open phase and ensure that the neutral wire is not overloaded.

How is current flow through the neutral wire with open phase R measured?

Current flow through the neutral wire with open phase R can be measured using a clamp meter or a multimeter set to measure alternating current (AC). The meter is attached to the neutral wire and the reading is taken to determine the amount of current flowing through it.

What are the potential dangers of an open phase in an electrical circuit?

An open phase in an electrical circuit can pose several dangers, including overloading of the remaining phases, equipment damage, and potential electrical shocks. It is important to identify and fix an open phase as soon as possible to prevent these risks.

How can an open phase in an electrical circuit be fixed?

The exact method for fixing an open phase in an electrical circuit will depend on the specific cause of the issue. It is recommended to consult a licensed electrician to diagnose and repair the problem. This may involve replacing damaged wires or connections, or resetting a blown fuse or circuit breaker.