1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3-phase Delta Induction machine problem for Electric Machines and Power Electronics

1. May 1, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A [tex]\Delta[/tex] connected induction machine is to start from a source of 480V, 60 Hz.

The motor ratings are :

4 poles, [tex]\Delta[/tex] connected, 480V, 60 Hz, [tex]X_{ls}\,=\,X_{lr}\,=\,4\,\Omega[/tex], [tex]X_m\,=\,50\,\Omega[/tex], [tex]R_s\,=\,0.25\,\Omega[/tex], [tex]R_r\,=\,0.4\,\Omega[/tex].

Find the current in the windings and the torque of the motor and the current at the line side.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]I_S\,=\,\frac{V_{l-l}}{\left(R_s\,+\,j\,X_{ls}\right)\,+\,\left(j\,X_m\,||\,R_r\,+\,j\,X_{lr}\right)}[/tex]

[tex]I_R\,=\,I_S\,\frac{j\,X_m}{R_r\,+j\,X_{lr}\,+\,j\,X_m}[/tex]

[tex]P_{gap}\,=\,n_{ph}\,|I_R|^2\,\left(\frac{R_r}{s}\right)[/tex]

Where [tex]n_{ph}[/tex] is number of stator phases.

[tex]T\,=\,3\,\frac{P_{gap}}{\omega_s}\,\frac{p}{2}[/tex]

Where p is number of poles.

The above equations are not given explicitly anywhere, but an example uses them so I think they are right.

3. The attempt at a solution

At starting, s = 1.

[tex]I_S\,=\,\frac{480}{\left(0.25\,+\,j\,4\right)\,+\,\left(j\,50\,||\,0.4\,+\,j\,4\right)}\,=\,62.1^{\angle\,-85.6^{\circ}}[/tex]

[tex]I_R\,=\,\left(62.1^{\angle\,-85.6^{\circ}}\right)\,\frac{j\,50}{0.4\,+j\,4\,+\,j\,50}\,=\,57.5^{\angle\,-85.2^{\circ}}[/tex]

[tex]P_{gap}\,=\,(3)\,(57.5)^2\,(0.4)\,=\,3967.5[/tex]

[tex]T\,=\,3\,\left(\frac{3967.5}{377}\right)\,\left(\frac{0.4}{1}\right)\,=\,63.14\,Nm[/tex]

Does that look right? How do I get the current at the line side?

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2011 #2
    Re: 3-phase Delta Induction machine problem for Electric Machines and Power Electroni

I found an equation that will possibly give line side current...

[tex]I_{line}\,=\,\sqrt{3}\,I_{ph}[/tex]

But what is [tex]I_{ph}[/tex]? Is it [tex]I_S[/tex] or [tex]I_R[/tex]?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?