Troubleshooting Strange Noise from 250kw 3 Phase Motor

In summary: The motor makes a strange noise when power is removed and it is intermittent. Sometimes when making the noise the vfd trips. When the motor is on another drive (250 amp) it does not make the noise. Other motors (55kw and smaller) on the vfd do not make the noise. I think it may be the VFD.
lottis
Hi guys

I have been testing a brand new 250kw 3 motor wired in delta. I have it connected to a 170 amp vfd with no load for testing. It draws 105 amps at 50hz and is balanced.

Intermittently the motor makes a strange that i have not heard before. It sounds like a spoon taping another spoon, a metal on metal sound tapping at no more than 1 hz off and on. When power is removed and the motor free spins to a stop the sound is gone. I have tried different carrier frequency but it does not make any difference.

Sometimes while making the noise the vfd trips on over current but not on output short circuit. The drive does not show a raise in current before tripping.

The motor has been check for mechanical issues, bearing/loose parts etc and none have been found.

I have tried the motor on another drive (250 amp) and it does not make the noise. I have tried other motors (55kw and smaller) on the vfd and they do not make the noise.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Does it sound like it could be a spark?

No not like a spark, a clang but not loud, spoon on spoon is the best description i can think of. When i heard it first i would have sore there was something loose in the motor, like a balance or something, but nothing loose was found.
If these was a short to Earth or across a winding the vsd would either fault "output short" or "earth fault" i would assume.

You are saying the motor is balanced? How did this get checked? At 250KW it is worth the investment to get a professional to assess it. ( there are a lot of tests to consider: http://www.motordiagnostics.com/papers/AC%20Motor%20Testing%20and%20Predictive%20Maintenance.pdf )

Also as a new motor - you can ask, or pay for the manufacturer to come check it out, and then have them certify the warranty is intact, it may cost a few $ now - but to ensure the warranty is valid it may be well worth it.

The VFD could be the problem, again at this power level - I would lean on the manufacturer.

Last edited by a moderator:
The current is balanced across each phase +/- 2 amps at 105amps 50hz. The vfd shows the current for each phase and i also checked with a clip on ammeter. I also checked winding resistance and insulation resistance which both check out fine.
The dc bus is stable and the vfd output voltages are also stable and balanced.

1. What could be causing the strange noise from the 250kw 3 phase motor?

There are several potential causes for a strange noise coming from a motor. Some common reasons include worn bearings, loose components, or internal electrical issues. It is important to troubleshoot and diagnose the specific cause in order to properly fix the problem.

2. How can I determine if the noise is coming from the motor or from another source?

To determine if the noise is coming from the motor, you can perform a simple test by disconnecting the motor from its load and running it. If the strange noise persists, then it is likely coming from the motor. However, if the noise stops, it may be coming from another source such as the load or the surrounding environment.

3. Is it safe to continue running the motor with the strange noise?

It is not recommended to continue running the motor with a strange noise as it could potentially lead to further damage or failure. It is important to address the issue as soon as possible to prevent any potential safety hazards or costly repairs.

4. How can I fix the strange noise from the motor?

The appropriate solution for fixing the strange noise will depend on the specific cause. It is recommended to consult a professional or refer to the manufacturer's manual for troubleshooting and repair instructions. In some cases, it may be necessary to replace certain components or perform maintenance on the motor.

5. Can I prevent a strange noise from occurring in the future?

Regular maintenance and inspections can help prevent strange noises from occurring in the future. It is also important to address any issues or unusual noises as soon as they arise to prevent further damage. Additionally, using the motor within its designated specifications and avoiding overloading can also help prevent strange noises.