1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3 phase system

1. Oct 10, 2014 #1
    vbn.png

Why is Vab = Van -Vbn? I'm doing this after a while so maybe I'm getting something basic wrong but surely the potential difference between lines A and B is the voltage drop across phase a (Van) plus (rather than minus) the voltage drop across phase b (Vbn)?? So Vab = Van + Vbn?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2014 #2
    Notice orientations of '+' poles of source voltages Van and Vbn as you go through the loop a-n-b-a

4. Oct 11, 2014 #3
    I thought it had something to do with the signs but I've kind of forgotten. Could you elaborate please?

Cheers

5. Oct 11, 2014 #4
    Ok let me illustrate this with DC circuits:
    Untitledcbe56.png
    Can you see the difference between case I and II ?

6. Oct 11, 2014 #5

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

In a simple DC circuit, if one point is at +6 volts, and another point is at +6 volts, what is the potential difference between the two? Is it 12 volts, or is it zero?

If one point is at +6 volts and another is at -6 volts, what is the potential difference?

Do you add the readings, or do you subtract them?

7. Oct 13, 2014 #6
    Case I: Going from a to b is Van + Vbn ?
    Case II: Going from a to b is Van - Vbn?

8. Oct 13, 2014 #7
    The first is 0V
    The second is 12V?

How does that apply to this problem?

9. Oct 13, 2014 #8
    :)

10. Oct 13, 2014 #9

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

There is no difference. In either case the P.D. is given by the same equation.

Van is voltage at a referenced to n. Vbn is voltage at b referenced to n, that convention is clear.
    So the P.D. is always Vab = Van - Vbn, and consistent with your output arrow direction.

Did you intend something different?

11. Oct 13, 2014 #10
    Arrow denotes voltage Vab (missing in the drawings). Vbn changes polarity so the outputs Vab aren't same in both circuits

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted