Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3-phase voltmeter

1. Jul 24, 2015 #1
    Hi, I'm trying to build a voltmeter that will simultaneously measure all three phases unloaded of a 3-phase permanent-magnet alternator off a motorcycle (Honda Goldwings mostly, not that that's relevant...) The way these are typically checked in the industry is to set a voltmeter to measure AC, disconnect the stator and measure the unloaded AC output Line 1-2, 2-3, 3-1. This is sometimes a pain to do in the garage so I'm looking to make a tool I can simply plug into the 3P outlet and read all three at the same time. The meter I use already is this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-AC0-50...696?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19e1b9d8f0

I've used this successfully as a single-phase meter for a while, so my though was to tie three of the together, powered by an independent 9-volt battery (when it says "power supply needed" the spec is 8-15VDC). I've attached a PDF of my proverbial tool and was just looking for input as to any design mistake I've made.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I'm not sure, but I think you need 3 separate power sources for the 3 meters. I doubt they have isolation between their power input and the measurement leads...

4. Jul 25, 2015 #3

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Can you solder ?
    this three position switch
    http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/CK-Components/A20303RNZQ/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvNbjZ2WlReYqS7wnWG8l9O54StjK1Q2yQ%3d [Broken]
    upload_2015-7-25_9-58-45.png

wired to a connector that mates with the stator plug
    will let you select the phase to be measured.

its bottom will look like this
    http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/60/A_Rotary_30juyl14-38283.pdf
    upload_2015-7-25_10-0-32.png
    except it won't have terminals B and D

here's how to wire it
    3pswitch.jpg

on the front panel of whatever you mount it to
    Label position 1 AB (or 1-2)
    Label position 2 AC (or 1-3)
    Label position 3 BC (or 2-3)

now you can use any meter
    myself i prefer analog meters for you can judge by the needle movement how much fluctuation you're getting.

upload_2015-7-25_10-3-48.png

have fun !

old jim

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  5. Jul 25, 2015 #4
    Thanks for the input. Berkeman, I appreciate the input and I will adjust the panel to give each meter it's own individual 9V power source. Jim, the 3-position switch was actually my first thought on the subject, but I went for the three-digital-panel design simply for aesthetics sake since to be honest I'm really building a tool simply for the sake of the tool. I freely admit it's more of a project just to do it than for actual practical value. Maybe I'll make both designs and see which works better.

Thanks again guys.

6. Jul 25, 2015 #5

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I predict you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.
    At bottom of my avatar is a home-built special purpose test box.
    Making your own special tools multiplies your rate of 'getting things done' .

Meters have got so inexpensive it's hardly worth buying a switch.
    Whichever you do, your work-mates will want one too...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook