Calculating Phase Current and Power Factor in a Y Connected Generator

In summary, when operating at 80kW, 400V (line), 100KVA rated, and a lagging power factor, the phase current is 248.6A, the power factor is 0.8, the reactive power is 34.6kVAr, and the voltage drop across the synchronous reactance is 497V. The per phase equivalent circuit can be drawn using Vph = 230.9V, Sph = 57735VA, P = 46188W, and Q = 34631VAr.
richardknox

Homework Statement

A Y connected, 400V (line), 100KVA rated, stand alone generator is operating at 80kW at rated current with a lagging power factor and rated terminal voltage. The synchronous reactance is 2Ω.

Draw the per phase equivalent circuit and calculate:

(i) The Phase Current (Iph)
(ii) The Power Factor
(iii) The Reactive Power
(iv) The Voltage drop across the Synchronous Reactance (VXS)

Homework Equations

[itex]V_{ph} = V_{line}/√3[/itex]
[itex]P = IV[/itex]
[itex]P = IVcosθ[/itex]
[itex]Q = Ssinθ[/itex]
[itex]S_{ph} = S/√3[/itex]
[itex]V_{xs} = I_{ph} * jXs[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]V_{ph} = 400/√3 = 230.9V[/itex]
[itex]S_{ph} = 57735W[/itex]
[itex]S = IV[/itex]
[itex]I = S/V = 57735/230.9 = 250A[/itex]

[itex]P = IVcosθ[/itex]
[itex]cosθ = 0.8[/itex]

[itex]Q = Ssinθ = 60VAr[/itex]

[itex]V_{xs} = jXs * I_{ph} = 500V[/itex]

Not sure where I go wrong but I'm assuming I can't have a voltage drop of 500V over a component when I only have 230.9V of phase voltage!

Physics news on Phys.org
A:There are lots of mistakes in the stated problem. Vph = 400/√3 = 230.9V is correct.Sph = 57735W is wrong. Use 100000VA = 100kVA = 100000/√3 = 57735VA.I = S/V = 57735/230.9 = 250A is wrong. Use 57735VA/230.9V = 248.6A.P = IVcosθ is wrong. Use P = Sph*cosθ = 57735*0.8 = 46188W.Q = Ssinθ is wrong. Use Q = Sph*sinθ = 57735*0.6 = 34631.Vxs = jXs * Iph = 500V is wrong. Use Vxs = jXs * Iph = 2*248.6*j = 497V.

1. What is a 3 Phase Y Connected Generator?

A 3 Phase Y Connected Generator is a type of electrical generator that produces three-phase power, where the three phases are connected in a Y or star configuration. This means that the three phases are connected at a common point, forming a Y shape. The generator is used to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy, and is commonly used in industrial applications.

2. How does a 3 Phase Y Connected Generator work?

A 3 Phase Y Connected Generator works by using the principle of electromagnetic induction to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy. The generator has three sets of windings, each connected to one of the three phases. As the rotor of the generator rotates, it creates a changing magnetic field, which induces an alternating current in the windings. The three phases are then combined in a Y configuration to produce the three-phase power output.

3. What are the advantages of a 3 Phase Y Connected Generator?

One of the main advantages of a 3 Phase Y Connected Generator is its efficiency. The Y configuration allows for a balanced load distribution, which results in a smoother power output and less strain on the generator. Additionally, the three-phase power output is more stable and can handle higher power loads compared to a single-phase generator. This makes it ideal for industrial and high-power applications.

4. What are the limitations of a 3 Phase Y Connected Generator?

A 3 Phase Y Connected Generator can be more complex and expensive to manufacture and maintain compared to a single-phase generator. It also requires a three-phase power distribution system, which may not be available in all locations. Additionally, the Y configuration may not be suitable for all types of loads, and a different type of generator may be needed for certain applications.

5. How is a 3 Phase Y Connected Generator different from a Delta Connected Generator?

A 3 Phase Y Connected Generator and a Delta Connected Generator are two different types of three-phase generators. The main difference between them is the way the three phases are connected. In a Delta configuration, the three phases are connected in a triangle or delta shape, whereas in a Y configuration, they are connected in a Y shape. The choice between the two depends on the specific application and load requirements.