Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3 prong cord.

1. Dec 28, 2005 #1
    I'm having a little dilema. I just got a portable DVD player from Minitek.
    I plug a cord into the AV out jack. When I plugged it into the audio-video input jacks on my tv it didn't work.

But that's not my quest. I want to know how a cord which has 1 prong on 1 end and 3 on the other splits the signal. I have a red ,white,and yellow prongs on the end with colors the correspond to each jack. I want to know how if the signals go in through 1 connection how do they split and into 3 connections. Does each signal go to eachprong or do they majicaly go to certain prongs?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2005 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you look closely at the "single" connector, which plugs into your DVD player, you'll likely see that there are, in fact, several metal contacts, each separated from the others by a strip of plastic. The cable actually consists of three independent signal wires, each connected to one of the three contacts on the "single" connector.

- Warren

4. Dec 29, 2005 #3

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The second plug down on this image illustrates the concept that chroot described. This kind of plug may also be found on stereo jacks though wired to different signals.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?