1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3 QM problems

1. Mar 27, 2008 #1
    3 Problems that i am struggling with are attached. FDR407

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2008 #2
    here it is as a PDF

Attached Files:

4. Mar 29, 2008 #3
    The only help I'll give here is for #2, for which I'm using Griffiths's excellent QM book (Chapter 2) as a reference. If you can get your hands on that book, buy it!

When you analyze the finite square well, after solving the Schrodinger equation, imposing boundary continuity conditions, and cleaning up the notation using a dummy variables "Z" and "Z0", you get an equation for Z that has tan(Z) on one side and sqrt{(Z0/Z)^2-1} on the other side. This can't be solved traditionally; the best you can do is plot both functions together and see where they intersect. That's why it's called a transcendental.

It looks like your teacher is giving you the hydrogen atom, since the mass of the electron is given, along with the traditional 1 angstrom distance from the nucleus.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2008
  5. Mar 29, 2008 #4
    Note: Griffiths's text provides the even solutions, and you have to do the odd solutions, so your transcendental will be a bit different.
  6. Mar 30, 2008 #5
    What is the full name of that Textbook that you guys talking about
  7. Mar 30, 2008 #6
    "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics," David J. Griffiths, Prentrice Hall. Has a live cat on one cover and a dead cat on the other :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?