3 questions about the vectors

• Thread starter Fatimah od
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary: JG89In summary, the conversation consists of a student asking for help with various math problems, including finding a unit vector, determining parallel planes, and understanding when to use the cross product. The expert reminds the student of the forum rules and advises them to show their own attempt at solving the problems before receiving assistance. The student thanks the expert for their helpful response.
Fatimah od
Hi

I have a final exam after tomorrow, ,so I hope if anybody can help

1) How to find a unit vector that is orthogonal to both u=(1,1,0) and v=(-1,0,1) ?

2) How to determine whether the given planes are parallel :
3x_2y+z =6 and 2x_y+4z=0

I know how to determine whether the planes are perpendicular, it's to product their normals and get a zero. Is not?

3) when should I use the cross product?

Thanx you alot,

Physics news on Phys.org
For 1) use the cross product. For 2), I haven't done planar algebra in a long time, but it would make sense to me that if two planes were parallel, then if n_1 and n_2 were the normals for the first and second plane, respectively, then n_1 would be a scalar multiple of n_2, i.e. n_1 = k*n_2 for some scalar k.

For 3), nobody can answer that. You're going to have to use the cross product and get a feel for it to determine whether a situation calls for it or not.

Fatimah od said:
Hi

I have a final exam after tomorrow, ,so I hope if anybody can help

1) How to find a unit vector that is orthogonal to both u=(1,1,0) and v=(-1,0,1) ?

2) How to determine whether the given planes are parallel :
3x_2y+z =6 and 2x_y+4z=0

I know how to determine whether the planes are perpendicular, it's to product their normals and get a zero. Is not?

3) when should I use the cross product?

Thanx you alot,
Hello Fatimah od . Welcome to PF.

According to the Forum Rules for Homework Help:
"NOTE: You MUST show that you have attempted to answer your question in order to receive help. You MUST make use of the homework template, which automatically appears when a new topic is created in the homework help forums.

On helping with questions: Any and all assistance given to homework assignments or textbook style exercises should be given only after the questioner has shown some effort in solving the problem. If no attempt is made then the questioner should be asked to provide one before any assistance is given. "​

So you see, our hands are tied. We can't help until you show what you know about these questions.

JG89

So thanx, , that is completely help

What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical representation of a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is often visualized as an arrow pointing in a specific direction with a specific length.

How are vectors used in science?

Vectors are used in science to represent physical quantities such as force, velocity, and acceleration. They are also used in mathematical models to describe and predict the behavior of natural phenomena.

What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. For example, temperature is a scalar quantity as it only has a numerical value, while velocity is a vector quantity as it has both a numerical value and a direction.

How do you add and subtract vectors?

To add or subtract vectors, you must first determine their direction and magnitude. Then, add or subtract the corresponding components of each vector to obtain the resulting vector. This is known as the head-to-tail method.

Can a vector have a negative magnitude?

Yes, a vector can have a negative magnitude if it is pointing in the opposite direction of a positive vector with the same magnitude. In this case, the resulting vector would have a magnitude of 0.