1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3 questions.

1. May 26, 2004 #1
    Problem 16.
    Show that 1+2+4+...+26(n-1)=2^(n)-1
    I first decided to use the formula: a_n=a_1*r^(n-1)

Problem24. Find the sum of the series 1-3+5-7+9-11+....+1001.

Problem 26. Suppose a doctor earns $40,000 during the first year of practice. Suppose also that each succeeding year the salary increases 10%. What is the total of the doctor's salaries over the first 10 years? How many years must the doctor work if the salary total is to exceed a million dollars?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's not the correct formula. If you want to find the nth term in a sequence that might be useful, but you want to find the nth term in a series. There is a different formula, I don't remember off-hand, I'm sure you can look it up or find it in your text book. However, if you need to prove it, you can do a simple proof by induction.

Notice that every consecutive pair of terms sums to -2, e.g. 1-2 = -2, 5-7 = -2, etc. Your answer should be 1001 - 2x, where x is the number of pairs. The first pair is (1,-3) and the last pair would be (997,-999). It's a simple matter of some simple division to find out x.

You can express this as a series. [itex]a_1 = \$ 40,000[/itex], [itex]r = 1.1[/itex] because he gets a 10% increase each year, so his salary will be 10% greater than the previous year, which is 110% times more than the previous year, which is 1.1 times more than the previous year.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?