Understanding Benedicts, Iodine, and Biuret Tests: Explained and Demystified

• Thread starter tata105
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is asking for help understanding the Benedicts Test, Iodine Test, and Biuret Test, including why they work, what they test for, and why they change color. The suggestion is to search for information on Benedict's and Biuret's solutions in a chemistry textbook, and to put in effort when seeking help.
tata105
3 quick questions...PLEASE HELP!

I have 3 questions regarding: Benedicts Test, Iodine Test, and Biuret Test.

I need to know: Why they work, What they test for, and Why the change color.

Any help would be greatly apprectiated.

Physics news on Phys.org

tata105 said:
I have 3 questions regarding: Benedicts Test, Iodine Test, and Biuret Test.

I need to know: Why they work, What they test for, and Why the change color.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Try searching for "Benedict's solution" or Benedict's reagent", and similarly, "Biuret reagent" or "Biuret test".

I would expect a chemistry textbook would have some discussion.

Students are expected to show some effort.

Sure, I'd be happy to help answer your questions about these tests.

First, let's start with the Benedicts Test. This test is used to detect the presence of reducing sugars, such as glucose and fructose, in a solution. It works by reacting with the aldehyde or ketone group of the sugar, forming a colored precipitate. The color change occurs because the copper ions in the Benedicts reagent are reduced to copper oxide, which is insoluble and appears as a red, orange, or yellow color, depending on the amount of reducing sugar present.

Next, the Iodine Test is used to detect the presence of starch in a solution. Iodine reacts with the helical structure of starch molecules, forming a blue-black color. This color change occurs because iodine molecules fit into the helices of starch molecules, causing them to absorb more light and appear darker in color.

Lastly, the Biuret Test is used to detect the presence of proteins in a solution. This test works by reacting with the peptide bonds in proteins, forming a violet color. The color change occurs because the copper ions in the Biuret reagent bind with the peptide bonds, causing a complex to form that absorbs light and appears violet in color.

Overall, these tests work by causing a chemical reaction with specific molecules present in a solution, resulting in a color change that can indicate the presence or absence of certain substances. I hope this helps to demystify these tests for you. Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. What are the 3 quick questions?

The 3 quick questions refer to a request for help or information on a specific topic or problem. They are typically short and concise in order to quickly address the issue at hand.

2. Why are these questions important?

These questions may be important for a variety of reasons. They could be related to a research project, a scientific experiment, or a new discovery. They could also be related to a problem or issue that needs to be solved.

3. How can I help with these quick questions?

There are a few ways you can help with these quick questions. You could provide your expertise or knowledge on the topic, offer advice or suggestions, or share any relevant resources or information that may be helpful. You could also offer to collaborate with the person asking the questions to find a solution together.