1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3 semesters left, should I transfer?

1. Sep 5, 2007 #1
    Hello everyone,

I haven't posted in awhile but a lot has happened!

Well I'm still doing my 8 month co-op with IBM as a Software Engineer and I'm really loving it!

I'm currently a student at Penn State but I soon found out how terrible Penn State's Comp Sci program is compared to NC States Computer Sci curriculum.

IBM,CISCO, SAP, etc have a huge influence on NC State's Comp Sci program and that really helps keep the courses new and improved.

My co-op ends in December, so I would be done by the Spring of 08. If I went back to Penn State I would have 3 semesters left if I really load my courses up.

But if I transfered to NC STATE I'm not sure how many semesters it would put me back. Maybe 1 or 2.... I have all my physics and maths taken care of, I just havn't taken any core courses in Comp Sci other than 2 Computer architecture class that is geared more towards Computer Engineering rather than Comp Sci. Infact, they transfer as EE courses in NC State rather than Comp Eng or Comp Sci :(

The major difference is Penn State doesn't teach Java (they are big into C/C++) and is huge on theory and not application.
    If I was wanting to go into research , thats great but I don't. NC State is huge on Java and big projects in their comp sci curriculum. After looking at their courses they offered I got excited and when I looked at the courses I was going to be taking at Penn State I felt "ahh thats going to suck".

IBM doesn't do anything in C++ and after programming in Java for a week I found out why.
    Java is just as fast as C++ and a lot nicer/cleaner in all aspects in my opinion, but I'm glad I learned C/C++ anyways just so I can realize how nice Java is! Sorry I'm getting off topic...

The manager I'm working for wants me back to co-op full time in the summer as well....so to me it seems like such a hassle to move back to PA to go to school for a semester, then come back to NC for the summer, then move back to PA to finish my fall and spring semester of 09. Then move back down here to get a Full Time job with IBM. (phew sorry about the run on).

Instead.... I believe I would have a really good chance of working part time with IBM while going full time in school if I transfer to NC State.

I would finish my co-op, take the spring 08 semester off to go full time to NC State, then in the summer work full time as a co-op and take a few classes at NC State. Then during the fall and spring till whenever work part time with IBM while going full time at NC state.

So in my mind I know what I want to transfer, even my buddies from Penn State can't believe how horrible Penn State is compared to NC State after talking to the other co-ops at IBM.

I just need some input from other people to see if they also think this is a good idea or if I should just graduate the fastest and hope for the best.

Comments/Suggestions are welcome and needed :D

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted