Solving 3 Simple Physics Problems

• Thread starter mikezietz
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation covers three topics: 1) the equation for finding the Newtons displaced of oil or any other liquid by a floating object, 2) the effect of acceleration on the period of a pendulum, and 3) the impact of eccentricity on the period of two planets with different masses. The conversation also briefly touches on the concepts of buoyancy, Archimedes's principle, and fluid resistance.
mikezietz
I have 3 ideas that i am stuck on,

1. If you have water displaced in Newtons by a floating object, is the Newtons displaced of oil or any other liquid, what is the equation to find this. I tried many equations with densities and bouyant forces, but i can't seem to get the right answer, i was maybe thinking since it is Newtons of water replaced and oil replaced, not mass, that maybe the Newtons of water replaced equals Newtons of anything replaced. meaning if 100 N of water is displaced, 100 N of oil will be displaced by the same object, Am i correct in thinking this?

2. If you have a pendlum swinging from an elevator accelerating upwards, in taking the equation of pendlum's being period = 2 * pi * sqrt( L / g ), would you just add the acceleration to g by changing the part in the equation where g is to
(g + a)?

3. I am trying to find the difference in periods of 2 planets with different masses, and different eccentricity, i have been hunting through my book for an hour, and another hour or 2 on the internet, and cannot find an equation that can give me these differences in periods. I was wondering what the impact of eccentricity is on a period. Is a bigger eccentricity going to cause a longer period? I cannot find this property anywhere.

thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. I am not sure whether I am correct. I haven't learned that but just had a look at them.
Buoyant force= volume displaced x density.
The V of 100N of water is not equal to V of.100 N of oil

1. A Newton is a measure of force, such that 1 Nt = 1 kg * 1 m/sec^2.

Bouyancy works on the displacement of volume. A material denser than water will sink, lighter than water will float.

A ship made of steel will float because it surrounds a volume of air (void) and displaces that volume of water.

The bouyant force = density (of liquid) * volume (displaced) * g (accel. of gravity), just like F = mg.

2. Yes. In the elevator accelerating with a in a gravity field g, the effective g becomes g+a.

3. http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/KeplersLaws.html
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/KeplersThirdLaw.html

Good site for physics

the question for the first one is really , 16,000 N of water are displaced by a boat, how many Newtons of saltwater is displaced with a specific gravity of 1.17

and for the second one, are you absolutely positive it's g + a, beause on another post i found in the K - 12 section they had it at g - a, does it add or subtract from gravity

Last edited:
It depends on how you define direction. The elevator is accelerated upward. If you define that as positive, then g is negative, since the gravitational force points downward. If define up as negative (which is kinda weird in this case, but you can do it), then g is positive. Think about what the variables a and g represent and you should be able to assign signs to them.

EDIT: More complications: you can also say g indicates a negative force, so a+g actually indicates a minus the magnitude of g...getting confused? Basically, however you choose to define things, make sure you are consistent throughout your work on the question, and look at things to see if they make sense. In this case, you know the acceleration of gravity must be taken away from the acceleration a.

Last edited:
When an object falls into a liquid with a speed, there are two forces acting against the weight, right?
Buoyant force and fluid resistance.
Is fluid resistance a force? like friction is called frictional force and is a frictional force.

Archimedes's principle

mikezietz said:
1. If you have water displaced in Newtons by a floating object, is the Newtons displaced of oil or any other liquid, what is the equation to find this. I tried many equations with densities and bouyant forces, but i can't seem to get the right answer, i was maybe thinking since it is Newtons of water replaced and oil replaced, not mass, that maybe the Newtons of water replaced equals Newtons of anything replaced. meaning if 100 N of water is displaced, 100 N of oil will be displaced by the same object, Am i correct in thinking this?
Assuming you are talking about the amount of liquid displaced by a floating object, then you are correct: An object floating in a liquid displaces a volume of liquid whose weight equals the weight of the object. Of course, this is equivalent to saying that the mass of displaced liquid equals the mass of the object, since mass and weight are proportional. The same object floating in different liquids will displace the same weight or mass of liquid, but different volumes.

1. Doc Al provided a better and direct answer.

Weight is a force, which is given by mass x acceleration of gravity. A 20,000 ton ship (its weight) will displace 20,000 tons of water, and 20,000 tons of oil, but the volumes of water and oil would be different.

2. Yes, I am sure. The acceleration of the pivot of the pendulum is up, so the reaction on the pendulum mass is down in the direction of gravity. Since the pendulum is not accelerating (changing velocity) with respect to pivot, the net force is zero - this is a statics problem.

However, g is decreasing as distance from the center of the g-field increases, so if the a is constant, g will decrease on the acceleration effect will just become 'a'.

So the answer best answer would be 2 pi sqrt ( L / a )?

Another similar problem is a bucket of a incompressible fluid of density, sitting on the bottom of an elevator accelerating downward with magnitude a, what is the pressure difference between the two points, separated by delta H

i think it's density (g + a)delta h, anyone explain these forces of gravity with resepect to accelerations

Last edited:
mikezietz said:
and for the second one, are you absolutely positive it's g + a, beause on another post i found in the K - 12 section they had it at g - a, does it add or subtract from gravity
That post in K-12 is incorrect. See my response in that thread.

1. What are the three simple physics problems that can be solved?

The three simple physics problems that can be solved are calculating force using Newton's Second Law, determining acceleration using the kinematic equations, and finding the velocity of an object using the conservation of energy principle.

2. How do you calculate force using Newton's Second Law?

To calculate force using Newton's Second Law, you need to know the mass of the object and its acceleration. The formula is F = ma, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass in kilograms, and a is the acceleration in meters per second squared.

3. What are the kinematic equations used for?

The kinematic equations are used to determine the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object in motion. These equations can be used to solve problems involving constant acceleration, such as an object falling due to gravity.

4. How do you find the velocity of an object using the conservation of energy principle?

To find the velocity of an object using the conservation of energy principle, you need to know the potential and kinetic energy of the object. The formula is KE = 1/2mv^2, where KE is the kinetic energy in Joules, m is the mass in kilograms, and v is the velocity in meters per second.

5. What are some real-life applications of solving these simple physics problems?

Solving these simple physics problems can be applied to real-life situations, such as calculating the force needed to push a car up a hill, determining the acceleration of a roller coaster, or finding the velocity of a ball thrown in the air. These problems can also help engineers and scientists design and improve technologies, such as cars, airplanes, and space equipment.