1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3 Thermodynamics problems [work done by gas, radiation, coefficient of performance]

1. Feb 24, 2009 #1
    PROBLEM 1 (work done by gas)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1. An ideal monatomic gas originally in state A is taken reversibly to state B along the straight-line path shown in the pressure-volume graph. What ist he work done by the gas?
    A) +12 cal
    B) +122 cal
    C) 0 cal
    D) -110 cal
    E) +110 cal

2. Relevant equations

4.186 calories per J

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought the area under the curve would be the work done by the gas, so I split it into a triangle and a rectangle and did this:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}(1)(101.3*10^{3})(2)(10^{-3}) = 101.3[/tex] (the area of the triangle)
    [tex]2(101.3*10^{3})(2)(10^{-3}) = 405.2[/tex] (the area of the rectangle)

I added them up to get 506.5. I then divided by 4.186 to get 120.99, which I supposed was closest to 122.

The answer, however, is +110 cal.

PROBLEM 2 (RADIATION)

2. Two identical solid spheres have the same temperature. One of the spheres is cut into two identical pieces. These two hemispheres are then separated. The intact sphere radiates an energy Q during a given time interval. During the same interval, the two hemispheres radiate a total energy of Q'. What is the ratio Q'/Q?
    A) 1.5
    B) 4.0
    C) 0.50
    D) 0.25
    E) 2.9

2. Relevant equations

[tex]H = Aert^{4}[/tex]

Not a clue how to start this one, as I don't have any values for r or t or A. My guess is those don't matter since H is directly proportional to A, so then I would have to find the surface area, however, I'm not sure how to compute the total surface area for Q' then.

The answer is 1.5, however.

PROBLEM 3 (coefficient of performance)

3. If the coefficient of performance for a refrigerator is 5.0 and 65 J of work are done on the system, how much heat is rejected to the room?
    A) 210 J
    B) 260 J
    C) 130 J
    D) 330 J
    E) 390 J

2. Relevant equations

[tex]COP = \frac{Q_{h}}{W}[/tex]
    [tex]Q_{h} - Q_{c} = W[/tex]

[tex]COP = \frac{Q_{h}}{W}[/tex]
    [tex]COP = \frac{Q_{h}}{65} = 5[/tex]
    [tex]Q_{h} = 325[/tex]
    [tex]Q_{h} - Q_{c} = W[/tex]
    [tex]325 - Q_{c} = 65[/tex]
    [tex]Q_{c} = 260[/tex]

The answer, however, is 390, so I guess I am supposed to add 325 and 65, though I am not sure why.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2009 #2
    Re: 3 Thermodynamics problems [work done by gas, radiation, coefficient of performanc

Oh, I don't expect help for all of them at once; any one of them at a time is fine.

4. Feb 24, 2009 #3
    Re: 3 Thermodynamics problems [work done by gas, radiation, coefficient of performanc

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

5. Feb 25, 2009 #4

Just trying to keep this thread up where it is visible to people who may possibly help. :] Thanks!

6. Feb 25, 2009 #5

For number 3 you add them ( as you stated). You've got to remember sign convention for heat and work.

7. Feb 25, 2009 #6

Sorry, I don't understand? Why would I add them? I can see that adding it would produce the right answer, but I don't know why.

8. Feb 25, 2009 #7

What are Qc and Qh?

Also using the COP is what you wat/what you pay for.

Think about that it is that you want from a refrigirator. Is the useful heat transfer the heat rejected or the heat taken from the space to be refrigirated. (hopwfully this shoudl help)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  9. Feb 25, 2009 #8

Qc is heat expelled, Qh is heat absorbed.
    I don't understand, the useful heat would be heat absorbed, so that's Qh, and you're solving for heat rejected, which is Qc, right?

10. Feb 26, 2009 #9

Ahhh thats where you are gong wrong. Qc is the heat absorbed from the space to be refrigirated and Qh is the rejected heat into the room, in the case of heat pump and refrigirator. A heat pump is a refrigiration cycle in reverse (kind of).

In the case of the heat pump Qh is the useful heat transfer (to be put in COP equation)
    In the case of a refrigirator Qc is the useful heat transfer.

So it would be Qc=COP*W = 325

This goes into the second equation to find the heat rejected at higher temperature (Qh)

http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/ii3/cdcracing/?action=view&current=refrigcycle.jpg

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook