Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3 things are certain in life?

1. Dec 5, 2008 #1

tgt

1. Death
    2. Taxes
    3. To make continued substantial contributions (in anything) in the long term, one must work very hard.

Agreeable?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2008 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think only 1 and 2 are widely agreed upon.

4. Dec 5, 2008 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

There are places without taxes. Of course there are no public works either. So, only 1 is certain.

5. Dec 5, 2008 #4
    Only 1 is certain. And that's kinda sad.

6. Dec 5, 2008 #5
    Another certainty in life is life itself. You will live for a certain amount of time before you die. Try to remember and enjoy that part.

7. Dec 5, 2008 #6

wolram

Gold Member

I am not certain about any of the above, the only thing i certain of in the near future, is i am going to have another cup of cider.

8. Dec 5, 2008 #7

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I wouldn't say 1 is certain either. But given the overwhelming evidence in its favor, I'll accept that it has probability 1.

9. Dec 5, 2008 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I will never die, and no one can ever prove to me otherwise.

10. Dec 5, 2008 #9
    If you are born alive you will live. If you live you will die. When you die you will recycle.

11. Dec 5, 2008 #10

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just wrote down the proof this morning when this guy (he introduced himself as Pete) came by and said he had an appointment with you, and that he could give it you when you met. I said "okay" and gave it to him. Oddly, then, he asked me if I had any pearly paint? Before I could translate my confuzzlement into words, he thanked me for the tea and left, saying he had a ton of work left to do on the gates.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  12. Dec 5, 2008 #11

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:

13. Dec 5, 2008 #12

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

14. Dec 6, 2008 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Whewwww, that's a relief. Did he mention how many virgins I get [or am I confusing something here]?

I never believed any of that stuff until now.

15. Dec 6, 2008 #14
    I think that a more interesting question might be, are there taxes in Heaven? Do you have to worry about mortgaging your harp and being evicted from your cloud?

16. Dec 6, 2008 #15

tgt

Can anyone give a counter example to why 3. is false?

17. Dec 6, 2008 #16
    I tried to find a reason to disagree, but came to the conclusion that even in a round about way, hard work does contribute in a substantial way.
    For example Harper Lee, she only wrote one book, which won her the Pulitzer Prize, and later the Presidential Medal of Freedom. To Kill a Mockingbird was a giant contribution to literature. But had she not spent years studying law, her book might not of been so grand.

18. Dec 6, 2008 #17
    1) Your parents are freakin' rich and leave you a lot of money. You spend your days relaxing by the pool and playing video games. You then donate $2M to some charity. Every year.

2) You stumble upon some discovery. Almost 100% of the time people were working very hard at whatever it was they were doing when they happened upon whatever they discovered, even if it was completely unrelated. But I'm sure there have been instances where people were just goofing around and suddenly they said "Holy crap! I just made fire!!"

19. Dec 6, 2008 #18
    I think it's

1) Death
    2) Godwin's Law

20. Dec 6, 2008 #19

tgt

1) is okay. 2) is not since I'm looking for contributions in the long term, not one offs.

Another counter example is if some scientist did not want to get any publicity and published everything under someone else's name.

Hence I'll change 3. with the following:

To make continued substantial contributions (in anything) in the long term, someone must work very hard.

Any counter examples now?

21. Dec 6, 2008 #20
    hunger and pain and death

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?