1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3 variable quadratic

1. Feb 19, 2008 #1
    Hey guys.
    Im having a problem with deciphering positive definite and negative definite for this quadratic form i determined from a matrix.
    I dont quite understand how to evaluate if its pos def or neg def.
    From what I see in my notes, q(x,y) > 0 for all x not equal to 0. This doesnt help much as with some terms being squared and some not, im not sure if q will always be positive. I also dont know if there is anything different being a 3-variable quadratic. Anyways here it is:
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

q(x, y, z) = 2x² - 2xy + y² - 8yz – 2xz + 5z²

2. Relevant equations

q(x,y) > 0 for all x not equal to 0

Any help is appreciated
    Thanks

Chris

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2008 #2

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Have you tried applying the quadratic formula?

4. Feb 19, 2008 #3

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What does positive definite mean in terms of the eigenvalues of the matrix?

5. Feb 19, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Before you do a lot of work, you could also just poke around. If v=(x,y,z)=(1,1,0) then q(v,v)=1. If w=(0,1,1), q(w,w)=(-2).

6. Feb 19, 2008 #5
    hmm, well what im not sure of most is the statement "q(x,y) > 0 for all x not equal to 0"
    This was given for 2 variables, i have nothing for 3 variables. So in im not even sure if we are only taking into consideration what x is or if there are 2 variables to take consideration of in 3D. This is the only definition of positive definite i have :frown:
    I could do what Dick says by plug and play but im still not sure if the same definition holds for 3D....

7. Feb 19, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For two variables the statement is q(x,y)>0 for (x,y) not equal to (0,0). For three variables the statement is q(x,y,z)>0 for (x,y,z) not equal to (0,0,0). I wrote it the way I did because I usually think of a quadratic form as a function of two vectors, like the dot product.

8. Feb 20, 2008 #7

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

To make Dick's suggestion blatantly obvious, setting x=1,y=1,z=0 yields q(x,y,z)=1 while setting x=0,y=1,z=1 yields q(x,y,z)=-2. What does that tell you regarding the question of the nature of the quadratic form?

You can rewrite the expression q(x, y, z) = 2x² - 2xy + y² - 8yz – 2xz + 5z² as the matrix expression

[tex]q(\mathbf x)
    = \mathbf x\cdot(\mathbf Q \mathbf x)
    = \mathbf x^T\mathbf Q \mathbf x[/tex]

where [itex]\mathbf Q[/itex] is a symmetric matrix and [itex]\mathbf x[/itex] is the column vector

[tex]\mathbf x = \bmatrix x\\y\\z\endbmatrix[/tex]

The first form ([itex]\mathbf x\cdot(\mathbf Q \mathbf x)[/itex]) is apparently how Dick likes to view these forms. I prefer the second form ([itex]\mathbf x^T\mathbf Q \mathbf x[/itex]). It is just a matter of preference; the two expressions are equivalent.

9. Feb 20, 2008 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I prefer the second form as well. I think of the dot product as [itex]\mathbf x^T\mathbf I \mathbf x[/itex].

10. Feb 20, 2008 #9
    Thank you guys. It appears to me that this quad is not pos or neg definite then. This is my 3rd option.
    Thanks guys

Chris

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?